Kelly Services, Inc. (formerly Russell Kelly Office Service and Kelly Girl Service, Inc.) is an American office staffing company that operates globally. The company places employees at all levels in various sectors including financial services, information technology, and law. Also, its professional services include human resource and management consulting, outsourcing, recruitment, career transition, and vendor management. Kelly Services was founded by William Russell Kelly in 1946 and is headquartered in Troy, Michigan.
|Nasdaq: KELYA (Class A)|
S&P 600 Component
|Founder||William Russell Kelly|
|Headquarters||999 West Big Beaver Road, |
|Peter Quigley (President, CEO)|
|Revenue||$5.5 billion (2018)|
|$67 million (2015)|
Number of employees
Founded in 1946 by William Russell Kelly, the company was originally named Russell Kelly Office Service. Services were provided in-house at the Kelly office. However, as customer offices grew and needed more resources, they began to ask for the Kelly employees to perform the work at their own offices. Temporary workers from Russell Kelly Office Service soon became known as ‘Kelly Girls’. Adelaide Hess Moran, the first Kelly temporary employee to work at a customer’s office was promptly dubbed the first ‘Kelly Girl’.
The temporary workers, usually female, became known as "Kelly girls", and the company name was changed to Kelly Girl Service, Inc. in 1957. Eventually "Kelly girl" became a widely used term for a temporary worker, regardless of company affiliation or gender. By 1966, the company had expanded to include industrial and technical services divisions and was renamed Kelly Services, Inc.
- "Kelly Leadership". www.kellyservices.com.
- "2015 Annual Report" (PDF). Kelly Services. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- "Company Overview - About Us Kelly". www.kellyservices.com.
- "Kelly Services". Fortune. Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- "United States Securities and Exchange Commission: Form 10-K". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- Dutton, Jane E.; Heaphy, Emily (January 12, 2016). "We Learn More When We Learn Together". Harvard Business Review. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- Melvin, Tim (March 8, 2016). "3 Staffing Firms to Get Worked Up About". TheStreet.com. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- Murphy, Maxwell (December 21, 2015). "CFO Moves: Kelly Services, Pharm-Olam". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- "William Russell Kelly Tribute". kellyservices.com. Retrieved 2008-10-03.
- Eaton, Leslie (1998-01-08). "William Kelly, 92, Founder Of Temporary Jobs Company". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- Hatton, Erin (2011). The Temp Economy: From Kelly Girls to Permatemps in Postwar America. Temple University Press. ISBN 978-1439900826. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "History of Kelly Services, Inc. – FundingUniverse". www.fundinguniverse.com.
- Wernau, Julie (November 25, 2014). "Kelly Services, DeVry partner to fill STEM gap". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved August 17, 2016.