Kelapa Gading or also known as KG, Gading', is a district (Indonesian kecamatan) of North Jakarta, Jakarta, Indonesia. Kelapa Gading neighborhood is known to the local populates as a city within a city, due to the integrated residential-commercial planning, and the supporting facilities.
|Province||Special Capital City District of Jakarta|
Kelapa Gading is also the name of a district.
Kelapa Gading was an undeveloped marshland and sparsed agricultural land until 1976, when a local real estate developer company, PT Summarecon Agung, developed Kelapa Gading into a more productive land by establishing an integrated residential-commercial area in a grid-like urban planning with main boulevards and supporting facilities including schools and hospitals.
As a district (Indonesian kecamatan), Kelapa Gading is the southernmost district of North Jakarta. Kelapa Gading has a total area of 1,633.7 hectares (4,037 acres). The district is bounded by Bekasi Raya - Perintis Kemerdekaan Road to the south, Sunter Canal to the west, Bendungan Batik Canal to the north, and Cakung - Petukangan River to the east.
Kelapa Gading is divided into 3 kelurahan (administrative villages):
- Kelapa Gading Barat - area code 14240
- Kelapa Gading Timur - area code 14240
- Pegangsaan Dua - area code 14250
Kelapa Gading as a residential area is generally targeted toward the middle to upper market[clarification needed], though there are exceptions with non-gated residences. Artha Gading Villa and Kuta residence in Bukit Gading Villa are up-market areas in the location. The prime location and luxury contribute to the price factor. About 65% of the residents of Kelapa Gading are Chinese Indonesians.Since the late 1990s, vertical residences started to be built in Kelapa Gading. Starting from Kondominium Menara Kelapa Gading on the east gate, Wisma Gading Permai, to Gading Mediterranean Residences. After that, more apartment buildings continued to fill Kelapa Gading.
In Jakarta, Kelapa Gading is famous amongst food lovers as varieties of Indonesian food like Chinese food, Minang food and Javanese food, as well as non-Indonesian cuisine such as Thai, Japanese and Western foods. The central point in Kelapa Gading is an area known as Gading Food City . The Jakarta Fashion & Food Festival is annually held in several locations of this area.
The district of Kelapa Gading contains multiple shopping malls within a 20 kilometer radius. Some of the well-known malls in the district include Mal Kelapa Gading (the first and the largest shopping mall in Kelapa Gading, opened in 1990 by PT Summarecon Agung), Mal Artha Gading, Kelapa Gading Trade Center, Bella Terra, and Mall of Indonesia.
Kelapa Gading has several bars and entertainment places that open up until late night. People in Kelapa Gading usually hang out to various types of bar: Korean Soju bars such as Oppa House of Soju and Hangover, famous night bars with cozy architectural designs such as District Bar & Resto that offers a wide range of local to International cuisines and Holywings that is famous for its Korean foods especially the chicken wings, both places offer varieties of non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks. Youngsters also enjoy the local karaokes such as Happy Puppy Karaoke or NAV Karaoke. Kelapa Gading is also known as the world's capital of Bakmi (meat noodle) as there is a large variety of Bakmi noodles that can be found, such as noodles from Bangka, Makassar, Pontianak, Japanese ramen, Korean-styled noodles, and others. .
Despite being a well-developed area, Kelapa Gading is affected by flood most rainy season due to its geographically low plain characteristics (5 meters above sea level) and the lack of effective flood diversion network established by the district developer. The district was severely affected by the 2007 Jakarta flood, the worst flooding disaster in Jakarta.
Since 2010, the East Flood Channel began functioning, diverting water that used to cross Kelapa Gading's surrounding waterway. Many are hoping that this Flood Channel can really make Kelapa Gading flood free.
- Raffles Christian School Kelapa Gading is a Cambridge curriculum school located in Kelapa Gading
- Sekolah Menengah Atas Kristen 5 BPK Penabur Kelapa Gading is one of the most prestigious Christian school located in Kelapa Gading
There are also many state-run schools in the district.
Kelapa Gading has considerable road access to all areas throughout the city. To the west of this area, there is a network of inner-city toll roads that connects all areas of the city and Soekarno-Hatta International Airport .
To serve the residents of Kelapa Gading who use public transportation facilities, in the south there is the Pulo Gadung terminal which serves all departments within and outside the city. In addition, the TransJakarta bus network, which runs Pulo Gadung - Harmoni, Tanjung Priok - Cililitan and Tanjung Priok - Pluit, also crosses the south and west of this area. The area is also served by Jakarta LRT.
List of important placesEdit
- "Kecamatan Kelapa Gading" (in Indonesian). info Gading Group. 2009. Archived from the original on April 13, 2010. Retrieved April 20, 2010.
- "Profil Perusahaan" (in Indonesian). Summarecon. Archived from the original on November 1, 2010. Retrieved April 20, 2010.
- Ardianto, Wahyu (3 June 2019). "Kelapa Gading Surganya Makanan". Liputan 6.
- "Jakpost guide to Jl. Boulevard Raya, Kelapa Gading". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "Jakpost guide to Tirta Lie's favorite 'bakmi' places". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- Rudy Victor Sinaga (2003). "Properti di Kelapa Gading Tak Kenal Krisis" (in Indonesian). Sinar Harapan. Archived from the original on January 13, 2010. Retrieved April 20, 2010.
- "Floods hit North Jakarta". The Jakarta Post. The Jakarta Post.
- "Kelapa Gading Jakarta Utara Banjir, Sedan Diimbau Tak Melintas". Detik (in Indonesian). Danu Damarjati.
- Jimmy Ramadhan Azhari. Irfan Maullana (ed.). "Seluruh Akses Menuju Kelapa Gading Terendam Banjir Artikel ini telah tayang di Kompas.com dengan judul "Seluruh Akses Menuju Kelapa Gading Terendam Banjir"". Kompas (in Indonesian).
- "Contact Us." North Jakarta Intercultural School. Retrieved on June 20, 2016. "Address: Jl. Boulevard Bukit Gading Raya Kelapa Gading Jakarta Utara 14240 Indonesia "
- . Singapore School Kelapa Gading. Retrieved on May 8, 2015. "Jl. Pegangsaan Dua No.83 Kelapa Gading Jakarta"
- "LRT fully booked for public trial all week". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 1 July 2019.