Kay Cannon is an American screenwriter and actress. She is known for writing the screenplays for the Pitch Perfect films, and her work as a writer and producer for the NBC series 30 Rock. She is also a co-executive producer and writer on New Girl.
Cannon in September 2009
|Born||Kathryn E. Cannon
August 22, 1974
|Alma mater||Lewis University (M.A., B.A.)
Reed-Custer High School
(m. 2004; div. 2010)
Kay Cannon was raised in Custer Park, Illinois. She is the fifth of seven siblings. She graduated from Reed-Custer High School in Braidwood, Illinois, and received her BA in Theatre and MA in Education at Lewis University in Romeoville, Illinois.
She has performed sketch and improv for theaters including Boom Chicago in Amsterdam, Netherlands, The Second City in Chicago and Las Vegas, ImprovOlympic (West and Chicago) and at The Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in Los Angeles and New York.
While performing and writing around Chicago, she met actress Tina Fey; a fellow Second City alumna. When Tina Fey began creating the NBC comedy 30 Rock, she brought Cannon to the writing staff and turned to Cannon. She eventually became supervising producer.
Cannon won the Writers Guild of America Award for Best Comedic Series for her work on 30 Rock three times. In 2008, she won a Peabody Award for her work on the show. In 2010, Cannon was nominated for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series. During this time, Cannon also worked as a co-producer on the feature film, Baby Mama (2008).
She moved from New York City to Los Angeles when she signed an overall development deal with 20th Century Fox. Within that deal, she worked as a co-executive producer on New Girl and currently works as a consulting producer on Cristela. As part of her development, Cannon sold a workplace comedy The Wrecking Crew to Fox and wrote the pilot The Runt for CBS.
Cannon married Eben Russell on January 1, 2012 and the couple has one child together.
- "A Few Minutes with 30 Rock's Kay Cannon". Ucbcomedy.com. Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2011-06-10.
- The Swimmer. YouTube.
- "Writer Kay Cannon Talks 'Pitch Perfect', Girl Power, Picking Out the Songs, 'The Breakfast Club', and Her Fox Show". ollider.com. 2012-09-29.
- Radish, Christina (October 1, 2012). "Writer Kay Cannon Talks PITCH PERFECT, Girl Power, Picking Out the Songs, THE BREAKFAST CLUB, and Her FOX Show". Collider. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Thomas, Mike (April 3, 2013). "‘Pitch Perfect’ writer returns to Chicago to hone her improv chops". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Mason, Rachael. "Inside the Writer's Room: Behind the Scenes at 30 Rock with Writer/Producer Kay Cannon". Splitsider.com. Retrieved 2011-06-10.
- "2009 Writers Guild Awards Television, Radio, News, Promotional Writing, and Graphic Animation Nominees Announced". Writers Guild of America. 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-12-12. Retrieved 2008-12-12.
- "Exclusive: Olivia Wilde Is Dating Jason Sudeikis!". Us Weekly. December 7, 2011. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Webber, Stephanie (October 13, 2013). "Kay Cannon, Pitch Perfect and New Girl Writer, Welcomes Baby". Us Weekly. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Kroll, Justin (January 10, 2017). "'The Pact’ Starring Leslie Mann, Ike Barinholtz and John Cena Acquired by Universal". Retrieved January 10, 2017.