Katorse (International title: Fourteen) is a television primetime series that aired on ABS-CBN from August 24, 2009 to January 8, 2010, replacing Boys Over Flowers. It tells the story of a simple small-town girl who fell in love with a childhood friend who later fathers a child with her. It is loosely based on a 1980 film of the same name courtesy of Regal Films starring Dina Bonnevie, Gabby Concepcion and Alfie Anido.
by Joey Gosiengfiao
|Directed by||Malu L. Sevilla|
|Opening theme||"Tamis ng Unang Halik" by Juris Fernandez|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||100|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Production company||Dreamscape Entertainment Television|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||August 24, 2009 –|
January 8, 2010
|Preceded by||Boys Over Flowers|
|Followed by||Tanging Yaman|
|Related shows||Angelito: Batang Ama (2012) |
The show stars 2005 Star Circle Grand Questor Erich Gonzales as teenage mom, Nene. This is Gonzales' first starring role in a primetime program. The series showcases showbiz newbies Ejay Falcon and Xian Lim in their first starring role in a primetime series. ABS-CBN picked the cast because they believe that primetime television needs to have new faces, to make it look fresh and better than the usual actors.
In early July 2009, ABS-CBN released the program's trailer, which revealed the cast of Katorse to include veteran actors Malou de Guzman (as Nene's mother) and Cherie Gil as Gabby's mother, where she plays a less villainous role. Cherie Gil and Erich Gonzales had worked together in Pieta. Gil saw a lot of potential with Erich and believes that she will go far in the showbiz industry.
The original Katorse starred 18-year-old Mercedes Galvez, which launched her to stardom in the late 1960s, and featured Antonio Gomez as Gabby and the late Roldan Cruz as Albert. Katorse is known for its sexy trademark “magic kamison” (magic chemise) donned by the young lead actress while out for a swim. Although there are only two male characters in the 1968 film, ABS-CBN management added a third character, played by Enchong Dee, in the television series. The film was remade in 1980 starring Dina Bonnevie.
Story and developmentEdit
Nene is an ordinary small-town girl whose once-happy childhood turns fatally tragic as she and her childhood friend Gabby supposedly fell in love, thus causing her teenage pregnancy when they have sexual intercourse. Nene also discovers many troubles involving her family.
Cast and charactersEdit
- Erich Gonzales as Elena "Nene" Reyes
- Ejay Falcon as Gabriel "Gabby" Arcanghel
- Enchong Dee as John Joseph "Jojo" Wenceslao
- Xian Lim as Albert Arcanghel
- Gardo Versoza as Don Anselmo Arcanghel
- Cherie Gil as Doña Margarita Arcanghel
- Malou de Guzman as Nena Reyes
- Eda Nolan as Nenita Reyes
- Charee Pineda as Marissa Ocampo
- Carmi Martin as Yvonne Madrigal-Wenceslao
- Jessy Mendiola as Bettina Godinez
- Mat Ranillo III as Alfred Wenceslao
- Bangs Garcia as Shakira
- Dino Imperial as Dilbert
- Cy Mistosamente as Tommy Reyes-Wenceslao
- Jane Oineza as young Nene
- John Manalo as young Gabriel
- Joshua Dionisio as young Albert
- Jhoana Marie Tan as Doray
- Tommy Abuel as Mr. King
- Alexis Socorro L. Reyes as Dra. Julie (Ambassador of Autism Society Philippines) & (Principal Policy of San Lorenzo Ruiz de Manila School of Marikina City)
- Maritess Joaquin as Theresa Ocampo
- Martin del Rosario as Macoy
- Kier Legaspi as Ramon (Jojo's Uncle)
- Emily Loren as Guidance Principal (Episode 85)
- Julia Montes as Nellie (Final Episode 100)
- Auriette Divina as Mayumi Crisostomo (Fake Girlfriend of Jojo)
- Michael "Jamike" Jarin as Dr. Castro (Gabby's Doctor) (Current Head Coach of San Beda Red Lions on NCAA)
- Marvin Yap as Maynard
- Juan Rodrigo as Paeng Reyes
- Marissa Delgado as Doña Remedios Madrigal
The program's theme song, especially for Gabby and Nene, is "Tamis ng Unang Halik" ("Sweetness of First Kiss") sung by Juris of MYMP originally done by Kristina Paner. The song "My Love is Here" sung by Erik Santos is also featured in the show as a theme for Jojo and Nene.
The show was originally scheduled to air in early June 8, 2009, but was postponed as the producers reported having encountered shooting problems because of the weather. Because of this, the management have decided to replace Katorse's timeslot with The Wedding, a romantic-comedy series starring Anne Curtis, Derek Ramsay and Zanjoe Marudo.
Teenage pregnancy issueEdit
MTRCB has shown concerns due to the show's main theme: teenage pregnancy. They claim that this matter is to be taken seriously and can easily influence viewers. They also referred to The Wedding, another program by ABS-CBN in which the character of Hiyasmin Neri have become pregnant at a young age. MTRCB proclaim that these shows are making teenage pregnancy a stereotype on everyday lives. Although frowned upon, MTRCB have decided that they will take a closer look on these shows.
|Country/Region||Network(s)||Series premiere||Series Title in Country|
|Malaysia||Astro Prima||April 26, 2010||Fourteen|
|Singapore||Channel 5||December 7, 2010|