Kathi Appelt (born July 6, 1954) is an American author of more than forty books for children and young adults. She won the annual PEN USA award for Children's Literature recognizing The Underneath (2008).
Appelt at the 2017 Texas Book Festival
|Born||July 6, 1954|
Fayetteville, North Carolina
|Occupation||Writer, writing teacher|
|Genre||Children's literature, picture books, non-fiction|
Appelt is the author of more than 30 books. She writes novels, picture books, poetry, and nonfiction for children and young adults. Her books have been translated into several languages: Spanish, Chinese, French, and Swedish.
Her first novel was The Underneath, illustrated by David Small and published by Simon & Schuster in 2008. It features a cat and dog who live mainly beneath an old house in the Louisiana–Texas bayou. For that work she received the annual Children's Literature award from PEN Center USA and she was also a runner-up for the National Book Award (National Book Award for Young People's Literature finalist) and the American Library Association Newbery Medal (Newbery Honor Book).
- The Underneath, illustrated by David Small (Simon & Schuster, 2008)
- Brand-New Baby Blues, illustrated by Kelly Murphy (HarperCollins, 2009)
- Keeper, illus. August Hall (Atheneum Books, 2010)
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2014)
- "Kathi Appelt – Summary Bibliography". ISFDB. Retrieved 2014-09-24. Select a title to see its linked publication history and general information. Select a particular edition (title) for more data at that level, such as a front cover image or linked contents.
- "2009 Lit Awards". PEN Center USA (penusa.org). Archived 2010-04-05. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- "2008 National Book Award Finalist, Young People's Literature: Kathi Appelt". National Book Foundation. With linked interview transcript.
- "Newbery Medal and Honor Books, 1922–Present". Association for Library Service to Children. American Library Association.
- "Kathi Appelt Papers". University of Southern Mississippi Libraries.