Kate & Koji
Kate & Koji is a British television sitcom produced by Hat Trick Productions for ITV, created and written by Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin. The series broadcast its inaugural episode on 18 March 2020. The first series consisted of six episodes and concluded on 22 April, with the programme being a critical and ratings success. The series follows Kate (Brenda Blethyn), a working-class café owner in neglected coastal resort Seagate in south Essex, who develops a strong friendship with regular customer Koji (Jimmy Akingbola), an asylum-seeking doctor.
|Kate & Koji|
|Created by||Andy Hamilton|
|Written by||Andy Hamilton|
|Directed by||Ben Kellett|
|Opening theme||"I Only Want to Be with You"|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||6 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer||Jimmy Mulville|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company||Hat Trick Productions|
|Picture format||16:9 1080i|
|Original release||18 March 2020 –|
Kate (Brenda Blethyn) is a somewhat prickly, working-class woman who runs an old-fashioned café in neglected coastal resort Seagate in south Essex. She soon develops a strong but volatile friendship with regular customer Koji (Jimmy Akingbola). After grilling him on why he doesn't spend any money, he reveals that he doesn't work; although he is a doctor, he is also an asylum-seeker. After word gets out, Koji becomes the unofficial general practitioner and holds "surgery" in the café, ranking up custom for Kate, who offers him free food to keep the scheme going.
The seaside café for the TV sitcom was filmed at Frasiers Pie and Mash Shop in Herne Bay, standing in for the fictional seaside town of Seagate. The production also filmed exteriors of The Divers Arms pub and various scenes around the promenade and pier and an exterior scene at Herne Bay industrial estate. A further sequence was shot on the Promenade featuring a storm and its after effects.
- Brenda Blethyn as Kate Abbott, the owner of the cafe
- Jimmy Akingbola as Koji, an African asylum seeker doctor working in the cafe
- Blake Harrison as 'Medium' Dan, Kate's nephew who works as a decorator
- Barbara Flynn as Councillor Bone, a snobbish council member and Kate's nemesis
- Victor McGuire as Mr Mullholland, a regular at the cafe
- Rosalind Ayres as Iris, another regular at the cafe
- Gary Lammin as The Postman
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||UK viewers|
|1||Series 1, Episode 1||Ben Kellett||Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin||18 March 2020||6.02|
|When Kate finds out that her new acquaintance is a doctor but he is prohibited from working whilst seeking asylum, she hatches a plan that may be mutually beneficial to both involved.|
|2||Series 1, Episode 2||Ben Kellett||Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin||25 March 2020||5.86|
|With Kate and Koji's undercover clinic in full swing, the last thing they need is a visit from Dr Radwan. Medium keeps Koji calm, and Kate cooks up a surefire way to get back at an adversary.|
|3||Series 1, Episode 3||Ben Kellett||Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin||1 April 2020||4.66|
|Despite Kate being sued after an accident in the café, she refuses to back down and Koji is reluctant to get involved. Although Medium is convinced she should just apologise and get it over with, Kate suspects the legal threats may have something to do with Councillor Bone.|
|4||Series 1, Episode 4||Ben Kellett||Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin||8 April 2020||4.54|
|When word reaches that a storm is headed for town, Kate refuses to step in line, much to the grief of Councillor Bone. Koji discovers he has been given a jacket with an unfortunate history, and Medium may have lost Kate a lot of money on the horses.|
|5||Series 1, Episode 5||Ben Kellett||Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin||15 April 2020||4.29|
|When Kate's flashy ex-husband Dennis arrives in town with his much younger wife, Kate feigns an attachment to Koji. Councillor Bone is sure their relationship is a front, but that doesn't stop a good old-fashioned show down at the pub.|
|6||Series 1, Episode 6||Ben Kellett||Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin||22 April 2020||4.28|
|Not for the first time, Kate is being sued, but this time by Councillor Bone. Koji discovers he is under investigation for working illegally, and things do not improve when he tells Kate what he really thinks about her grandson.|
- "Brenda Blethyn in new Hamilton & Jenkin ITV sitcom". British Comedy Guide. 23 August 2019. Retrieved 20 March 2020.
- Gillibrand, Abigail (18 March 2020). "Kate and Koji: Who is in the cast of ITV's latest sitcom?". Metro. Retrieved 20 March 2020.
- Debnath, Neela (18 March 2020). "Kate and Koji ITV start date: When does Kate and Koji start? How many episodes?". Daily Express. Retrieved 20 March 2020.
- "Kate & Koji Episode 6". ITV Press Centre. 22 April 2020. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- "kate & Koji: Over 5 million viewers watch new ITV sitcom". British Comedy Guide. 19 March 2020. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- Kent Film Office. "Kent Film Office Kate and Koji (2020) article".