|Judge of the Supreme Court of Victoria|
|Assumed office |
14 March 2012
|Education||Ruyton Girls' School|
University of Melbourne
Early life and educationEdit
McMillan attended Ruyton Girls' School in Kew, Victoria where she was Vice Captain, Athletics Captain and a Boarding House Prefect. McMillan studied at the Melbourne Law School where she graduated with a Bachelor of Laws in 1974.
McMillan did her articles with John Ball and was admitted as a solicitor in April 1976. Six months later she went to work at law firm Phillips, Fox & Masel. McMillan became a barrister in 1981 where she spent the majority of her legal career, being appointed Senior Counsel in 2000, practising primarily in commercial litigation. She was on the Bar Ethics Committee for 10 years and was the Chair of the Victorian Bar in 2005-6. McMillan represented, the former wife of Bob Jane in various proceedings following their separation.
McMillan was appointed to the Supreme Court of Victoria on 14 March 2012, where she primarily hears matters in the Common Law Division and is the Judge in Charge of the Trusts, Equity and Probate List. In 2013 McMillan was accused of doing her nails and reading a legal textbook while witnesses were giving evidence in a lengthy trial. Mc Millan refused an application that she recuse herself due to a reasonable apprehension of bias.
McMillan is the co-owner with her husband of an Angus beef farm at Kerrie, near Romsey. 
- "Welcome the Honourable Justice Kate Mcmillan". Archived from the original on 18 July 2014. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- Clark, R (6 March 2012). "New appointment to the Supreme Court". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "The Hon Justice Kate McMillan". Ruyton Girls' School. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "Appointments". Melbourne Law School. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Personalia: Justice Kate McMillan" (2015) 89 Australian Law Journal 631.
- "Tyre king 'punished' high-living wife". The Daily Telegraph. 21 May 2008. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Jane v Jane  VSC 341 (5 September 2008), Supreme Court (Vic).
- Taree Pty Ltd v Bob Jane Corporation Pty Ltd  VSC 228 (26 June 2008), Supreme Court (Vic).
- "Practice Note No. 6 of 2016 Trusts, Equity and Probate List" (PDF). Supreme Court of Victoria. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "Supreme Court Justice Kate McMillan rejects call to stand down in civil trial over manicure claim". The Herald Sun. 28 September 2013. Retrieved 17 December 2017.
- AZ v The Age (No 2)  VSC 436 (12 September 2013), Supreme Court (Vic).