Karl William Roberson (born October 4, 1990) is an American professional mixed martial artist and former kickboxer currently competing in the Middleweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
|Born||Karl William Roberson|
October 4, 1990
Neptune, New Jersey, United States
|Other names||Baby K|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13 st 3 lb)|
|Reach||74 in (190 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Neptune, New Jersey, United States|
|Team||Killer B Combat Sports Academy (until 2021) |
Glory MMA & Fitness (2021–present)
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Early life and educationEdit
Roberson was called on short notice to fight K-1 legend Jérôme Le Banner at Fight Night Saint-Tropez 4 on August 4 in Saint-Tropez on his retirement fight. Although he was making his professional kickboxing debut, with only three amateur fights, he managed to upset Le Banner and score two knockdowns, first was ruled as a slip and during the second the referee proceeded with a slow count about 30 seconds that allowed him to recover, leading the fight to a controversial decision loss.
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
After earning three wins in amateur MMA, Roberson made his professional MMA debut May 2015. He fought sporadically over the next two years, obtaining a record of 5–0.
Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender SeriesEdit
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
Roberson agreed on a short notice fight against Glover Teixeira in the light heavyweight division at UFC Fight Night: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw on January 19, 2019. Roberson replaced Ion Cutelaba in the fight who had to pull out due to an injury. Despite hurting Teixeira with elbows early in the round, Roberson lost the fight in the first round by submission via arm triangle choke.
Roberson was scheduled to meet John Phillips on July 13, 2019 at UFC Fight Night 155. However, it was reported that Phillips was pulled from the bout due to injury and he was replaced by Wellington Turman. Roberson won the fight via a controversial split decision.
Roberson was expected to face Makhmud Muradov on April 18, 2020 at UFC 249. However, Muradov was forced to pull from the event due to COVID-19 pandemic travel restriction, and Roberson was pulled from the event and was scheduled to meet Marvin Vettori on April 25, 2020. However, on April 9, Dana White, the president of UFC announced that this event was postponed to a future date Instead Roberson was scheduled to face Marvin Vettori on May 13, 2020 at UFC on ESPN 9. At the weigh-ins Roberson weighed in at 187.5 pounds, 1.5 pounds over the middleweight non-title weight limit of 186 pounds. He was fined 20% of his purse, which was given to opponent Vettori, and the match was to proceed at a catchweight. However, Roberson was removed from the fight due to rhabdomyolysis. The fight was rescheduled to June 13, 2020 at UFC on ESPN: Eye vs. Calvillo. At the weigh-ins on June 12, Roberson once again missed weight, weighing in at 190.5 pounds, 4.5 pounds over the non-title middleweight limit of 186 pounds. The bout proceed as a catchweight bout and Roberson was fined 30% of his purse. He lost the fight via a submission in round one.
Roberson was scheduled to face Dalcha Lungiambula on December 12, 2020 at UFC 256. However, Karl tested positive for COVID-19 and the fight was moved to the next card on December 19, UFC Fight Night: Thompson vs. Neal.
Roberson was scheduled to face promotional newcomer Nick Maximov on September 25, 2021 at UFC 266. However, due to medical issues Roberson was forced to withdraw from the event and he was replaced by promotional newcomer Cody Brundage.
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|14 matches||9 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||9–5||Khalil Rountree Jr.||TKO (body kick and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Santos vs. Ankalaev||March 12, 2022||2||0:25||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Return to Light Heavyweight.|
|Loss||9–4||Brendan Allen||Submission (ankle lock)||UFC 261||April 24, 2021||1||4:55||Jacksonville, Florida, United States|
|Loss||9–3||Marvin Vettori||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on ESPN: Eye vs. Calvillo||June 13, 2020||1||4:17||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Catchweight (190.5 lb) bout; Roberson missed weight.|
|Win||9–2||Roman Kopylov||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Magomedsharipov vs. Kattar||November 9, 2019||3||4:01||Moscow, Russia|
|Win||8–2||Wellington Turman||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: de Randamie vs. Ladd||July 13, 2019||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Loss||7–2||Glover Teixeira||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC Fight Night: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw||January 19, 2019||1||3:21||Brooklyn, New York, United States||Light Heavyweight bout.|
|Win||7–1||Jack Marshman||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 230||November 3, 2018||3||5:00||New York City, New York, United States|
|Loss||6–1||Cezar Ferreira||Technical Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC 224||May 12, 2018||1||4:45||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||6–0||Darren Stewart||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Pettis||November 11, 2017||1||3:41||Norfolk, Virginia, United States||Return to Middleweight.|
|Win||5–0||Ryan Spann||KO (elbows)||Dana White's Contender Series 3||July 25, 2017||1||0:15||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||4–0||Derrick Brown||Submission (armbar)||CFFC 65: Brady vs. Saraceno||May 20, 2017||1||1:01||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States||Light Heavyweight debut.|
|Win||3–0||Elijah Gbollie||TKO (punches)||Shogun Fights 16||April 8, 2017||1||1:50||Baltimore, Maryland, United States|
|Win||2–0||Michael Wilcox||Submission (armbar)||CFFC 50: Smith vs. Williams||July 18, 2015||1||3:11||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Catchweight (192 lb) bout.|
|Win||1–0||Chike Obi||Decision (unanimous)||Ring of Combat 51||June 5, 2015||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Middleweight debut.|
Amateur mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|3 matches||3 wins||0 losses|
|Win||3–0||Lex Ludlow||Decision (unanimous)||Xtreme Caged Combat 19: Bloodshed||Nov 15, 2014||3||2:00||Philadelphia, USA||Light Heavyweight bout.|
|Win||2–0||Lex Ludlow||TKO (retirement)||Xtreme Caged Combat: Vendetta||Jul 26, 2013||1||2:00||Philadelphia, USA||Light Heavyweight bout.|
|Win||1–0||Adam Timberlake||Decision (unanimous)||GMMMA: Gold Medal MMA||Apr 20, 2013||3||3:00||Metuchen, USA||Heavyweight bout.|
|0 Wins, 3 Losses|
|2016-05-13||Loss||Mike Lemaire||Glory 30: Los Angeles||Ontario, California, USA||Decision (unanimous)||3||3:00||0–3|
|2016-02-26||Loss||Dustin Jacoby||Glory 27: Chicago, Semi Finals||Hoffman Estates, Illinois, USA||TKO||3||2:56||0–2|
|Drops to middleweight (-85 kg).|
|2015-08-04||Loss||Jérôme Le Banner||Fight Night Saint-Tropez III ||Saint Tropez, France||Decision (unanimous)||5||2:00||0–1|
|For The W.K.N. World Super Heavyweight (+96.600 kg) Kickboxing OR Championship.|
|2 Wins, 1 Losses|
|2014-02-28||Win||Simon Camaj||Friday Night Fights ||New York City, United States||TKO||4||N/A||2–0|
|2013-01-30||Win||Steven Jordan||Friday Night Fights: 2013 Opener ||New York City, United States||KO||1||1:39||1–0|
|Legend: Win Loss Draw/No contest Notes|
- Mixed martial arts show results Date: June 13, 2020
- James Lynch (September 21, 2021). UFC 266's Karl Roberson training at Glory MMA ahead of Nick Maximov fight – via YouTube.
- Feitl, Steve. "Karl Roberson fights to put Neptune on MMA map at UFC Fight Night", Asbury Park Press, November 10, 2017. Accessed November 4, 2018. "Karl Roberson is ready to show the world what he can do. But have no doubt, he also intends to show what his hometown of Neptune can do.... Today, the former baseball player at Neptune High School trains at Killer B Combat Sports Academy in Oakhurst."
- "Karl Roberson talks controversial loss to Jerome Le Banner - Muay Thai Authority". muaythaiauthority.blogspot.com. 7 August 2015.
- John Joe O'Regan (7 September 2015). "Roberson: 'If Pat Barry leaves me an opening, the fight is over'". Bloody Elbow.
- Segura, Danny (2017-07-25). "DWTNCS 3 results: Karl Roberson, Geoffrey Neal earn UFC contracts after quick finishes". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2019-10-14.
- "UFC Fight Night 120 results: Karl Roberson stays perfect, taps out Darren Stewart". MMAjunkie. 2017-11-12. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- Guilherme Cruz (2018-02-19). "Cezar Ferreira meets Karl Roberson at UFC 224 in Brazil". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- "UFC 224 results: Cezar Ferreira puts Karl Roberson to sleep with slick arm-triangle choke". MMAjunkie. 2018-05-13. Retrieved 2018-05-13.
- Staff (2018-08-22). "Karl Roberson says he's fighting Jack Marshman at UFC 230 in New York". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-08-23.
- "UFC 230 results: Karl Roberson earns one-sided decision over Jack Marshman". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- "Glover Teixeira Now Faces Karl Roberson at UFC Brooklyn". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-01-12.
- "UFC on ESPN+ 1 results: Glover Teixeira rallies from early trouble to submit Karl Roberson". MMAjunkie.com. January 19, 2019. Retrieved January 19, 2019.
- DNA, MMA (10 May 2019). "Karl Roberson vs. John Phillips toegevoegd aan UFC Sacramento". Retrieved 2019-05-11.
- Marcel Dorffpublication=mmadan.nl (14 June 2019). "Wellington Turman makes UFC debut on short notice against Karl Roberson in Sacramento". Retrieved 2019-06-15.(in Dutch)
- "UFC Sacramento: Karl Roberson earns razor-thin decision over Wellington Turman". FanSided. 2019-07-13. Retrieved 2019-07-14.
- Cole Shelton (2019-09-09). "Karl Roberson vs. Roman Kopylov booked for UFC Fight Night 163 in Moscow". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2019-09-09.
- Evanoff, Josh (2019-11-09). "UFC Moscow Results: Karl Roberson Submits Roman Kopylov". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-11-09.
- Mark La Monica (2020-02-12). "UFC 249: Karl Roberson to face Makhmud Muradov at Barclays Center". newsday.com. Retrieved 2020-02-11.
- DNA, MMA (7 April 2020). "Verschillende gevechten voor aankomende evenementen bekend gemaakt". Retrieved 2020-04-08.
- Brett Okamoto (2020-04-09). "Dana White says UFC 249 will not happen April 18". espn.com. Retrieved 2020-04-09.
- "Dana White announces full list of UFC matchups for May 13, May 16 events in Florida". MMA Junkie. 2020-05-01. Retrieved 2020-05-02.
- "Anthony Smith, Glover Teixeira make weight for Wednesday bout". ESPN.com. May 12, 2020.
- "Karl Roberson Removed from UFC Jacksonville Due to Medical Issues". Cagesidepress.com. May 13, 2020.
- Steven Marrocco (May 20, 2020). "Marvin Vettori vs. Karl Roberson rebooked for June 13 UFC event".
- "Karl Roberson vs. Marvin Vettori rescheduled for UFC event June 13". MMA Junkie. 2020-05-20. Retrieved 2020-05-22.
- Bryan Tucker (June 12, 2020). "UFC on ESPN 10 weigh-in video". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved June 12, 2020.
- Evanoff, Josh (2020-06-13). "UFC on ESPN 10 Results: Marvin Vettori Gets Revenge, Submits Karl Roberson". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-06-14.
- DNA, MMA (2020-11-07). "Karl Roberson treft Dalcha Lungiambula tijdens UFC 256". MMA DNA (in Dutch). Retrieved 2020-11-07.
- Hannoun, Farah (2020-12-07). "UFC Fight Night 183 reaches 16 bouts after Gillian Robertson vs. Taila Santos, two others added". MMAjunkie. Retrieved 2020-12-07.
- DNA, MMA (2021-02-27). "Brendan Allen vs. Karl Roberson toegevoegd aan UFC 261 op 24 april". MMA DNA (in Dutch). Retrieved 2021-02-27.
- McClory, Mike (2021-04-24). "UFC 261 Results: Brendan Allen Forces Karl Roberson to Tap to Heel Hook". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2021-04-25.
- DNA, MMA (2021-07-28). "Drie nieuwe gevechten en een gecancelde partij voor UFC 266 op 25 september in Las Vegas". MMA DNA (in Dutch). Retrieved 2021-07-28.
- Heck, Mike (2021-09-22). "Karl Roberson scratched from UFC 266, Nick Maximov faces Cody Brundage". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2021-09-23.
- "Rountree Jr. vs. Roberson toegevoegd aan UFC Vegas 50". Eurosport (in Dutch). 2022-01-19. Retrieved 2022-01-19.
- Prawdzik, Chris (2022-03-12). "UFC Vegas 50: Ruthless Pressure Sees Khalil Rountree Jr. Finish Karl Roberson". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2022-03-13.
- Anderson, Jay (2022-06-06). "Karl Roberson vs. Kennedy Nzechukwu Booked for UFC's July 9 Event". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2022-06-07.
- Sherdog.com. "Karl". Sherdog. Retrieved 2019-11-09.
- Jerome Le Banner oprašta se protiv Karl Roberson (in Croatian)
- "Friday Night Fight Report, Feb 28, 2014 – New York, NY". Killer B Combat Sports and Fitness Academy.
- "Hustle Incorporated — Friday Night Fights: 2013 Opener". Hustle Incorporated.
- "Season Opener Delivers the Goods". Friday Night Fights.