Karl I, Prince of Liechtenstein
|Prince of Liechtenstein|
|Reign||20 December 1608 – 12 February 1627|
|Born||30 July 1569|
|Died||12 February 1627 (aged 57)|
Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, Brno
|Spouse||Baroness Anna Maria Šemberová of Boskovice and Černá Hora|
|Father||Baron Hartmann II of Liechtenstein|
|Mother||Countess Anna Maria of Ortenburg|
|Religion||Roman Catholic (1599-1627)|
prev. Lutheran (1569-1599)
Karl was the elder son of Hartmann II, Baron of Liechtenstein (1544–1585) and his wife Countess Anna Maria of Ortenburg (1547–1601). Emperor Rudolf II of the Holy Roman Empire appointed Karl as chief intendant, an important position at his court. Karl held this position until 1607. In a dispute over land between Rudolf II and the heir presumptive to the throne, Archduke Mathias, Karl sided with Mathias, who made Karl a hereditary prince in 1608, in thanks for Karl's aid.
In 1614, Karl added the Duchy of Troppau to his possessions. In thanks for further aid at the Battle of White Mountain, Karl was appointed to the positions of proconsul and vice-regent of Bohemia in 1622, and he was bestowed with the Order of the Golden Fleece.
He gained the Duchy of Troppau on 28 December 1613 and the Silesian Duchy of Jägerndorf on 15 March 1622, along with much confiscated "rebel property", and he commissioned the ducal hat of Liechtenstein.
Marriage and issueEdit
- Princess Anna Maria Franziska (7 December 1601 – 26 April 1640), married Maximilian, Prince of Dietrichstein (1596 – 1655).
- Princess Franziska Barbara (1604–1655), married Wenzel Werner of T'Serclaes, Count of Tilly (1599 – 1653).
- Prince Heinrich (died young).
- Karl Eusebius, Prince of Liechtenstein (11 April 1611 – 5 April 1684).
|Ancestors of Karl I, Prince of Liechtenstein|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karl I, Prince of Liechtenstein.|
- "Karl I, Prince of Liechtenstein", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), 18, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, 1883, pp. 614–
- Article in the ABD[permanent dead link]
- Official biography
Karl I, Prince of LiechtensteinBorn: 1569 Died: 12 February 1627
|New title|| Prince of Liechtenstein
|This Liechtenstein biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a member of a European royal house is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|