Karl Anton Rickenbacher
Born in Basel, Rickenbacher studied at the Berlin Conservatory with Herbert von Karajan. He took part in master classes with Pierre Boulez. He was an assistant conductor at the Zürich Opera from 1966 to 1969. He served as first Kapellmeister of the Stadt Buhnen Freiburg from 1969 to 1975. He was music director of the Westphalian Symphony Orchestra from 1976 to 1985. He was chief conductor of the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra from 1978 to 1980. He was appointed principal guest conductor of the Belgian BRT Philharmonic Orchestra in 1987.
He died of a heart attack in 2014, aged 73.
- Cummings, David, International Who's who in Music and Musicians' Directory (Volume One, 2000/2001). Routledge, p. 540.
- James R. Oestreich (2002-08-09). "Mahler and the Lesser Known Stars in His Universe". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-02-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Dirigent Karl Anton Rickenbacher verstorben". Pizzicato.lu. Retrieved 2014-03-02. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Biography, Milken Archive
- Hyperion Records Artist Page
- Rachelle Schlosser, "Conductor Karl Anton Rickenbacher's Search for Little-Known Music of the Great Composers". Classics Today.com article
| Chief Conductor, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra