Karey Dornetto is an American screenwriter who has written for television series such as Arrested Development, Community, Portlandia and South Park. She also wrote the script for the feature-length film Addicted to Fresno.
Jamie Babbit (m. 2014)
Karey Dornetto was born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina. Before becoming a writer Dornetto majored in finance at the University of South Carolina. After graduating, Dornetto worked for the Bank of America and also had a brief stint working with the comedy group The Perch. She relocated to New York City through her Bank of America job and quickly became immersed in comedic writing. In New York City, Dornetto began doing stand up comedy and tried her hand at writing for different publications which she found to be quite enjoyable. Following her interest in comedy Dornetto sent a selection of her work to agent Matt Rice who landed her a job in Los Angeles writing for South Park.
Most of Dornetto's writing experience is for television shows. She has written for South Park (2002), The Jamie Kennedy Experiment (2003-2004), Arrested Development (2005-2006), Community (2010-2011), Kroll Show (2013), Portlandia (2012-present). Dornetto has also written for short lived television shows such as Dog Bites Man (2006) and The New Normal (2013). In 2014 Dornetto appeared on an episode of Comedy Central's Drunk History, where she narrated the story of Babe Didrikson Zaharias.
Addicted to Fresno was Karey Dornetto's first feature-length screenplay and was written with the intent of being directed by wife Jamie Babbit. The film's original concept developed from Dornetto's experiences of having an older sister. The film, starring Judy Greer and Natasha Lyonne, premiered at South by Southwest in 2015 and was also shown at Toronto's LGBT Film Festival, L.A.'s Outfest, Edinburgh's International Film Festival and the Frameline Film Festival.
Karey Dornetto is the author and illustrator of the book 101 Ways to Shave Your Ass.
Dornetto currently lives in Los Angeles, CA with her wife Jamie Babbit and two step daughters Finley and Ryder. The couple has worked on several projects together including Addicted To Fresno which Karey wrote and Babbit directed.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2006||Writers Guild of America||Comedy Series||Arrested Development||Nominated|
|2007||Writers Guild of America||Comedy Series||Arrested Development||Nominated|
|2012||Primetime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series||Portlandia||Nominated|
|2013||Writers Guild of America||Comedy/Variety (Including Talk) - Series||Portlandia||Won|
|2014||Primetime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series||Portlandia||Nominated|
|2015||Primetime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Variety Sketch Series||Portlandia||Nominated|
- "11 Female Screenwriters You Need To Know About". Marie Claire. Retrieved 2016-01-18.
- "SXSW Film Review: Fresno". www.austinchronicle.com. Retrieved 2016-03-30.
- "GO Magazine - 100 Women We Love: Karey Dornetto". www.gomag.com. Retrieved 2016-03-02.
- "Charlestonian finds writer's niche in Hollywood, gets nominated for Emmy for work on 'Portlandia'". Post and Courier. Retrieved 2016-03-02.
- "TV Writer Podcast 025 - Karey Dornetto (Portlandia, Community) - Script Magazine". Script Magazine. Retrieved 2016-03-02.
- "Queer Women in TV: Karey Dornetto". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "How to Make It: Rules for Success from TV Writers - Karey Dornetto". Complex CA. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- VanDerWerff, Emily. "Dan Harmon walks us through Community's second season (part 2 of 4)". www.avclub.com. Retrieved 2016-03-17.
- "Interview: Jamie Babbit and Karey Dornetto Talk Addicted to Fresno (Exclusive)". Shockya.com. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "The Parents Project | Looking Back: Kathy Dornetto". theparentsproject.com. Retrieved 2016-03-02.
- "Director Jamie Babbit brings 'Addicted to Fresno' to the Cedar Lee Theatre". cleveland.com. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "Natasha Lyonne Reteams With Her "But I'm A Cheerleader" Director In New Comedy". Queerty. Retrieved 2016-03-02.