Karangasem Regency (Indonesian: Kabupaten Karangasem) is a regency (kabupaten) of Bali, Indonesia. It covers the east part of Bali, has an area of 839.54 km2 and a population of 369,320 (2002). Its regency seat is Amlapura. Karangasem was devastated when Mount Agung erupted in 1963, killing 1,900 people. Karangasem was a kingdom before Bali was conquered by the Dutch.
Kabupaten Karangasem ᬓᬩᬸᬧᬢᬾᬦ᭄ᬓᬭᬂᬳᬲᭂᬫ᭄
Raksakeng Dharma Prajahita English: "Blessing Protection of Dharma to Achieve People's Welfare"
Location of Karangasem Regency in Bali
|• Regent||I Gusti Ayu Mas Sumatri|
|• Total||324.15 sq mi (839.54 km2)|
|Elevation||289 ft (88 m)|
|• Density||1,200/sq mi (470/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (Indonesia Central Time)|
|Area code||(+62) 363|
Interesting places include:
- The major Pura Besakih Hindu temple, sometimes called the Mother Temple of Besakih.
- Mount Agung is the highest peak in Bali
- Telaga Waja River only one rafting spot at eastern Bali
- Tenganan, a Bali Aga village (the original Bali), with inhabitants who still live according to their ancient traditions
- Beach town of Amed.
- Tulamben is a popular dive site
- Candidasa is a good starting point for visiting places along the beautiful east coast of Bali. East of Candidasa, is the village of Bugbug; its inhabitants celebrate the Perang Dawa (war of the gods) every other year on the full moon of the fourth month (October). People of all nearby villages climb to the top of a hill and sacrifice pigs by hanging them in trees.
- Prasi Beach in Prasi village is known as Pantai Pasir Putih (White Sandy Beach) and nowadays also as Virgin Beach. Its white sandy beaches are mainly free of crowds, less polluted, and known for swimming or snorkeling from April to October. The beach is a 7 kilometer (20 minutes) drive from Candidasa to the east. The beach is hidden among two cliffs/hills, Bugbug Cliff and Prasi Cliff.
- Ujung Water Palace was built by the King Anak Agung Agung Anglurah Ketut Karangasem.
- Tirta Gangga water palace
- Puri Agung Karangasem is collectively several royal palaces of the Karangasem kingdom 
- Budakeling is area Hindus and Muslims live. Saren Jawa village is home to 100 Muslim families, surrounded by Balinese Hindu villages following the Siwa-Buda belief system, a combination of Hinduism and Mahayana Buddhism. The people of Saren Jawa use Balinese first names before their Muslim last names, such as Ni Nyoman Maimunah.
- Seraya Village with Gebug Ende tradition to scarcity of water during drought season
- Mencol Hill is Most eastern hill on Bali island. It's another sunrise view point in Karangasem with a temple at peak of the hill, nice grassy hill with beautiful view to the east coast and Gili Selang islet. Located at East Seraya easily accessible by small road.
- :BPS Provinsi Bali:
- "Karangasem in Figures 2017". Badan Pusat Statistik Karangasem. Retrieved July 20, 2018.
- Biro Pusat Statistik, Jakarta, 2011.
- Wayan Suadnyana. "Bali White Sand Beach". Retrieved August 24, 2014.
- Adji Soedibjo. "Pantai Pasir Putih: Bali's Virgin Beach". Retrieved February 19, 2015.
- "Puri Agung Karangasem Royal Palace". July 20, 2018.
- "Saren Jawa — a model of harmony". August 25, 2011.
- "Gebug Ende or Gebug Seraya". July 20, 2018.
- "Mencol". July 18, 2018.