The Karşıyaka Cemetery (Turkish: Karşıyaka Mezarlığı) is a modern burial ground located at İvedik neighborhood in Yenimahalle district of Ankara, Turkey. Administered by the Metropolitan Municipality, it is the biggest cemetery in Ankara. Many prominent figures from the world of politics, business, sports and arts rest here.
|Owned by||Ankara Metropolitan Municipality|
|Size||2,890 decares (2.89 km2; 1.12 sq mi)|
|No. of graves||260,000 (November 30, 2009)|
In the end of 1998, the size of the burial area was extended from 1,707 decares (1.707 km2; 0.659 sq mi) to 2,890 decares (2.89 km2; 1.12 sq mi) to meet the need for the city's burial ground until 2025. End November 2009, it was reported by the director of city cemeteries that there are 260,000 graves in the Karşıyaka Cemetery, and the number of interments at the cemetery is about one thousand per month with increasing tendency. He added that "Due to increased rate of burials, it was expected that the cemetery will reach its capacity already in 2010. For this reason a much larger cemetery is projected." Karşıyaka Cemetery is the biggest cemetery in Ankara. The average number of visitors is two thousand daily.
- Türkân Akyol (1928–2017), female academic, politician and government minister
- Mehmet Altınsoy (1924–2007), politician, co-founder of Motherland Party (ANAP), Mayor of Ankara and Minister of State.
- Fikri Elma (1934–1999), footballer and top scorer
- Ulvi Cemal Erkin (1906–1972), pioneering symphonic composers in Turkey
- Deniz Gezmiş (1947–1972), executed Marxist–Leninist revolutionary and political activist
- Jülide Gülizar (1929–2011), anchorwoman and journalist
- İsmet Hürmüzlü (1938–2013), Iraqi Turkmen actor, screenwriter and director
- Masatoshi Gündüz Ikeda (1926–2003), Turkish mathematician of Japanese ancestry
- Cezmi Kartay (1920–2008), civil servant and politician
- Ahmet Taner Kışlalı (1939–1999), assassinated intellectual, political scientist, lawyer, columnist, academics and politician
- Ferit Tüzün (1929–1977), composer
- Bahriye Üçok (1919–1990), assassinated female academic of theology, left-wing politician, columnist and women's rights activist
- "Karşıyaka mezarlığı'nın defin alanı 2890 dekara çıkarıldı" (in Turkish). Porttakal. 1999-01-03. Archived from the original on 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- "Yeni mezarlık yeri arayışı". Çayyolu haber (in Turkish). 2009-11-30. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- "Villa fiyatına mezarlık". Sabah (in Turkish). 2010-09-07. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- Biyografi.net – Biography of Mehmet Altınsoy (in Turkish)
- "Gol Kralı Elma Ankara'da öldü" (in Turkish). radikal.com.tr. 15 November 1999. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- "Ulvi Cemal Erkin Kimdir ?" (in Turkish). Sahne Tozu Tiyatrosu. Archived from the original on 2013-10-23. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "Jülide Gülizar son yolculuğuna uğurlandı". Habertürk (in Turkish). 2011-03-16. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "Acı Kaybımız İsmet Hürmüzlü" (in Turkish). Kerkük Vakfı. Archived from the original on 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- "Tiyatro sanatçısı Hürmüzlü için tören düzenlenecek". Zaman (in Turkish). 2013-01-20. Archived from the original on 2013-10-23. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "Uzakdoğulu Bir Matematikçi-Gündüz İkeda" (PDF) (in Turkish). Biltek. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-06-28. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "Sol, Kartay'ın Cenazesinde Buluştu". Milliyet (in Turkish). 2008-08-14. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "Ahmet Taner Kışlalı 4 ayrı yerde tören". Hürriyet (in Turkish). 1999-10-23. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- Evin İlyasoğlu 71 Turkish composers 2007 Page 122 FERİT TÜZÜN İstanbul, April 24, 1929 Ankara, October 21, 1977 His father Mustafa Rasim was an elementary school ..."
- "Bahriye Üçok anılıyor". Cumhuriyet (in Turkish). 2013-10-06. Archived from the original on 2013-10-23. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
|This article about a Turkish building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This cemetery-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|