This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Total||56.51 km2 (21.82 sq mi)|
|Elevation||101 m (331 ft)|
|• Density||660/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The Kanaka Giri (Golden Mountain, also known as Rock City) province is said to be ruled by the King Katamraju. The province was built on the mountain, in those days, the attacks from the enemies were a common sight and hence the kingdom was built in such a way that the palace is hidden within the mountain and only those who have access to the kingdom could access the palace. King Katamraju had a daughter named Rani Channammakka, she was said to be a beautiful woman ac across the province. When King Krishna Deva Raya from the Vijayanagara Empire visits the Kanakagiri province, he falls in love with the Kings daughter, Channammakka and marries her. Thus enriching the bonds between the two kingdoms. The Kingdom is said to be richest kingdom across the south province of the Vijayanagara Empire. The kingdom is said to have hidden with many treasures. The Kingdom was attacked with many rivals at once and the people from the kingdom have hidden all the treasures, the palace and have fled to the Podili mountains and have never returned and died there. For many years the palace and the treasury continues to be hidden. Many claim that they have found some treasure on digging on the mountain top, but there are no actual sources of the claims.
The name is a vernacular transformation of Kanakagiri (Kanaka = gold and Giri = Hill). In olden times it was said that the town adjoining the hill was called Kanakapatnam.
Geography and climateEdit
Kanigiri has a tropical climate, specifically a tropical wet and dry climate (Aw) under the Köppen climate classification, Kanigiri is located near the coast of the Bay of Bengal. The town is surrounded by the range of Eastern Ghats. It has an average elevation of 101 metres (334 feet), and enjoys a hot climate for most of the year.
As of 2011[update] Census, the total population of the Kanigiri was 37,420, of which male population constitutes 18,886 and female population of 18,534. It has a literacy rate of 77.55 percent. The population under six years of age are 4,065.
Kanigiri is also declared as Municipality during 2013-2014 and also a constituency.
Residents depended on monsoon rains for drinking water; currently, water from the reservoir Nagarjuna Sagar Dam via pumplines reaches the town through a plant near Doruvu.
Nambula Venkateswarlu Has elected the Mandal Praja Parishad President(MPP) Kanigiri Mandal 2014-2019.
Paluri Ramana Reddy elected as Vice MPP From Thalluru
Kanigiri is connected by road to all other cities in Andhra Pradesh by Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation. National Highway 565 passes through Kanigiri, which coonects Hyderabad and Yerpedu. Kanigiri is well connected by Road to all major cities in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. Kanigiri RTC Depot runs dially services to Hyderabad, Visakhapatnam, Vijayawada, Karimnagar, Warangal, Bangalore, Chennai.
Nearest Railway station is - Markapur Road—60 km far. Ongole is 80 km. Singarayakonda - 65 km;A new Railway Station is Coming up in Kanigiri under the new railway line Project of Nadikudi-Sri Kalahasthi Section ; Nearest Airport - Vijayawada (Gannavaram) airport- 220 km. Hyderabad International Airport 330 km. Chennai International Airport - 350 km.
The primary and secondary school education is imparted by government, aided and private schools, under the School Education Department of the state. The medium of instruction followed by different schools are English, Telugu.
- "Municipalities, Municipal Corporations & UDAs" (PDF). Directorate of Town and Country Planning. Government of Andhra Pradesh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 January 2016. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- "Prakasam District Mandals" (PDF). Census of India. pp. 154, 177. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "District Census Handbook - Prakasam" (PDF). Census of India. p. 16,17,48. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Tourism, ap tourism, kanigiri kota, durgam, krishnadevaraya, katamraju, cuddapah | వైభవం నశించిన విగతజీవి "కనిగిరి దుర్గం"". Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "While we were Eradicating Polio another deadly disease is Crippling Children" (PDF). Nataus.org. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Kanigiri residents protest National Highway 565 project". The Hindu. 31 March 2015. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- "School Eduvation Department" (PDF). School Education Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 December 2015. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "The Department of School Education - Official AP State Government Portal | AP State Portal". www.ap.gov.in. Archived from the original on 7 November 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.