Kangra Valley Railway
The Kangra Valley Railway lies in the sub-Himalayan region of Kangra Valley and covers a distance of 164 km (101.9 mi) from Pathankot, Punjab to Jogindernagar in Himachal Pradesh, India. The Kangra valley railway comes under the Firozpur division of Northern Railway.
|Track gauge||762 mm (2 ft 6 in)|
|Length||164 kilometres (102 mi)|
|Kangra Valley Railway|
The highest point on this line is at Ahju station at an elevation of 1,290 meters (4,230 ft).
The railway line was planned in May 1926 and commissioned in 1929. The line has two tunnels, one of which is 250 ft (76 m) and the other 1,000 ft (300 m) in length. Trains on this narrow gauge line are pulled by small and less powerful engines than on a broad gauge main line, therefore steep ascents had to be avoided. But instead of expensively boring through the mountains on a straight way, a much longer right-of-way further south was chosen that allowed gentle slopes. From 1942 to 1954 there was no train service east of Nagrota.
When the Maharana Pratap Sagar was constructed, the line had to be diverted between Jawanwala Shahr and Guler into higher grounds along the eastern shore of the new reservoir. In 1973, the section between these two stations, along with Anur, Jagatpur and Mangwal stations was abandoned, and the new alignment with several new stations opened three years later.
Important railway stationsEdit
- Pathankot Junction - Pathankot railway station is located in Pathankot district in the Indian state of Punjab and serves Pathankot .
- Dalhogi road - The railway station is located nearby the road goes to dalhousie road.
- Nurpur road - The station is located in Jassur which only few kilometer away from Nurpur town.
- Nagrota Surian -It is station lies on the Kangra Valley railway station. It serves Nagrota Surian town of Himachal pradesh.
- Kangra - Kangra railway station is a main railway station in Kangra district in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh.
- Nagrota -It is station lies on the Kangra Valley railway station. It serves Nagrota town of Himachal pradesh.
- Palampur Himachal- Palampur Himachal railway station is a small railway station in Kangra district in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh.
- Baijnath Paprola - Baijnath railway station is a station in Paprola , Baijnath (Kangra).
- Ahju - It is station lies on the Kangra Valley railway station. It serves Ahju village in Joginder Nagar subdivision in Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh(India).
- Joginder Nagar - Joginder Nagar railway station is a railway station serving Joginder Nagar town, Himachal Pradesh in India.