Kampot (Khmer: ក្រុងកំពត) is a city in southern Cambodia and the capital of Kampot Province. It is situated at the Praek Tuek Chhu river southeast of the Elephant Mountains and around 5 km (3 mi) from the Gulf of Thailand. Kampot was the capital of the Circonscription Résidentielle de Kampot under French rule and Cambodia's most important sea port after the loss of the Mekong Delta and before the establishment of Sihanoukville. Its center is unlike most Cambodian provincial capitals composed of 19th-century French colonial architecture. The region and town are well known for the high quality pepper, which is being exported worldwide. It is also known for its Kampot fish sauce and durian.
|• Type||City Municipality|
|• Mayor||Neak Sovannary|
|Elevation||1 m (3 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+7 (Cambodia)|
Under 19th century French colonial administration Kampot became a regional administrative centre with the status of a state border district as a result of the delimitation of the Kingdom of Cambodia. The Circonscription Résidentielle de Kampot contained the arrondissements of Kampot, Kompong-Som, Trang and Kong-Pisey.
In 1889 French colonial census reports a multi-ethnic community: Kampot town consisted of "Cambodian Kampot" on the Prek-Kampot River and "Chinese Kampot" on the right riverbank of the west branch of the Prek-Thom River. Nearby was also a Vietnamese village, called Tien-Thanh and another Vietnamese village on Traeuy Koh Island. A Malay also existed on Traeuy Koh Island. Additional villages of mixed ethnicity are listed.
Tourists can also visit a pepper plantation. "La Plantation" (French) was created by a couple, Nathalie Chaboche and Guy Porre who revive the pepper tradition and employ the local population. Guests can walk in the fields, take part in the pepper tasting, try meals with the different types of pepper and buy some souvenirs and gifts.
Crime and securityEdit
Whilst considered largely safe, Kampot still faces a number of challenges related to crime, security and safety, particularly involving tourists and foreign residents. Despite some efforts to provide better security and policing, local authorities have been criticized in recent years for their response to a number of high profile serious crimes, including rapes and murders, that were dealt with poorly. As in neighbouring Sihanoukville, police in Kampot have been accused of corruption and links to organized crime, such as drug trafficking and usage.  Some members of Kampot's expatriate community have also faced criticism for alleged attempts to censor, cover up, and control any negative news or reviews about the city, its businesses, and inhabitants, especially on social media groups and pages.
- "List of Islands". Cambodia islands – Island Species Cambodia. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "Kampot of the Belle Époque: From the Outlet of Cambodia to a Colonial Resort" (PDF). Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Kyoto. Retrieved December 26, 2015.
- "Kampot pepper prices post a new peak". Phnom Penh Post. January 6, 2015. Retrieved December 26, 2015.
- Trade Promotion Department. "Cambodia Fish Sauce (Kampot)". Cambodian Top Ten Products. Archived from the original on 27 March 2016. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Trade Promotion Department. "Kampot Durian". Cambodian Top 10 Products. Archived from the original on 4 April 2016. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- "Kampot of the Belle Époque: From the Outlet of Cambodia to a Colonial Resort - After colonization by the French..." (PDF). Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Kyoto. Retrieved December 26, 2015.
- "The History of the Vinh Te Canal". UNREPRESENTED NATIONS AND PEOPLES ORGANIZATION. January 27, 2004. Retrieved December 26, 2015.
- "Kampot of the Belle Époque: From the Outlet of Cambodia to a Colonial Resort - When the French installed the Résidence,..." (PDF). Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Kyoto. Retrieved December 26, 2015.
- Laurenson, Jack. "Fears Grow over Kampot Crime". Khmer Times | News Portal Cambodia |. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- Laurenson, Jack. "Double Homicide Shocks Kampot". Khmer Times | News Portal Cambodia |. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- "Kampot : Mystery Tourist Death - Kampot Forum - TripAdvisor". www.tripadvisor.com. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- Pengly, Horng (2016-01-27). "Suspect charged in Kampot rape-murder case". Phnom Penh Post. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- Ratana, Uong (2016-01-22). "Palm frond suspected as weapon in grisly Kampot murder". Phnom Penh Post. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- Khuon, Narim (2017-02-10). "Three Kampot Police Officers Test Positive for Meth Use - The Cambodia Daily". The Cambodia Daily. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- Ros Chanveasna. "Cop arrested for drug trafficking". Khmer Times | News Portal Cambodia. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- Ros Chanveasna. "Former Police Nabbed With Drugs". Khmer Times | News Portal Cambodia. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- Laurenson, Jack. "'We Don't Protect Rapists Here'". Khmer Times | News Portal Cambodia. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- Laurenson, Jack. "Foreigners Accused of Running Underground Drug Network Acquitted in Expedited Trial". Khmer Times | News Portal Cambodia |. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
Kampot travel guide from Wikivoyage
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to |