Kamembe International Airport is an airport for Cyangugu and Kamembe in Rwanda (IATA: KME, ICAO: HRZA). RwandAir operates a Dash 8-Q400 with seven flights per week to and from Kigali. The airport receives charter flights from Tanzania, Uganda and Democratic Republic of the Congo, though not on a regular schedule.
Kamembe International Airport
Kamembe airport terminal seen from the runway, 2017
|Operator||Rwanda Airports Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||1,491 m / 4,891 ft|
During the Rwandan Civil War, Kamembe airport was suggested as a site for transiting French arms to the interim government after April 1994.
The airport terminal building was heavily damaged by a 2008 earthquake, and early in 2010 the Rwanda government announced that Kamembe Airport would be modernized. By the end of 2012 a new terminal was completed, a new control tower was opened, and Techno Sky, a branch of the Italian publicly owned ENAV corporation, had installed new navigation systems.
During a May 2013 visit, Infrastructure Minister Albert Nsengiyumva announced that the runway would be widened and lengthened from 1.5 kilometres to 2.2 kilometres by 2014-2015. The airport re-opened in June 2015 and RwandAir began scheduled flights from the airport.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
- Airport information for HRZA at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Des Forges, Alison (March 1999). Leave None to Tell the Story: Genocide in Rwanda – Acknowledging Genocide. New York: Human Rights Watch. ISBN 1-56432-171-1.
- Gérard Rugambwa, L'aéroport de Kamembe va être réhabilité ("Kamembe Airport to be rehabilitated"), 7 June 2010 (archived link). Accessed 19 March 2015.
- Techno Sky (Italy) wins a contract with the Rwanda Civil Aviation Authority, 11 June 2012. Accessed 19 March 2015.
- "Rehabilitation works at Kamembe Airport are completed and plans of extending Landing site to 2 kilometres length by 2015 are in place to increase the capacity of handling many planes at the same time"
- Thome, Wolfgang (15 June 2015). "Kamembe Airport ready to open new runway". Retrieved 16 August 2016.
|This Rwanda location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an airport in Rwanda is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|