KakaoPage (Korean: 카카오페이지; RR: KakaoPeiji) is a monetized content platform optimized for mobile devices, launched by the Kakao Corp. The service launched on April 9, 2013, as a digital content marketplace allowing brands and individuals to create and distribute visual, audio and written content such as manhwa and genre fiction.
KakaoPage was deemed a failure by mid-2013, but after adding Legendary Moonlight Sculptor and several other popular works, the service bounced back. By April 21, 2014, they started their free webtoon and web fiction service. In 2014, they announced that they would add over a 100 different webtoon series before the year was out.
Any individual can create content and upload it to KakaoPage and sell it directly to other consumers on the platform. The total revenue for any sale is distributed as, 30% to Google Play, 20% to Kakao and remaining 50% to the publisher.
By the time of September 2019, Kakaopage recorded over 66,000 contents in total and 22 million accumulated number of members.
KakaoPage currently owns 19.8 percent of Haksan Publishing, 22.2 percent of Seoul Media Comics and 19.8 percent of Daewon C.I., all of them publishers of comics. It also owns 21.9 percent of stocks in drama production company Mega Monster, which is a subsidiary of its sister company Kakao M.
In the mediaEdit
- Tebay, Andy (2013-02-13). "Kakao Launches Mobile Content Service". The Next Web. Retrieved 2016-12-13.
- 남혜현, Hye-hyun Nam (April 21, 2014). "ko:카카오 웹툰 시작…연내 신작 100편 공개 | KaKao Webtoon starting... Opening 100 brand new episode withing this year". ZDNet Korea (in Korean). Retrieved May 6, 2020.
- 남혜현, Hye-hyun Nam (2014-04-21). "카카오 웹툰 시작…연내 신작 100편 공개 원문보기 | KaKao Webtoon starting... Opening 100 brand new episode withing this year". ZD Net Korea.
- "Connecting Asia's startup ecosystem". Tech in Asia. Retrieved 2017-02-10.
- 김민정, Minjung Kim (2019-09-18). "카카오페이지, 일 거래액 10억 원 돌파 | KakaoPage, passing 1 billion won of sales in a single day". 'Startup's Story Platform’ (in Korean). Retrieved 2020-04-20.
- "Kakao Page invests W40b in 3 comic publishers". www.theinvestor.co.kr.
- Full list of stakeholders in MEGA MONSTER Corp. dart.fss.or.kr.
- "KakaoPage acquires Indonesian top webtoon platform Neobazar - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea". pulsenews.co.kr.
- 박철현, Chul-hyun Park (2017-02-14). "카카오페이지 대세 박보검 통해 대세 플랫폼 알린다! | KakaoPage advertises itself through Park Bogum". IT Chosun.
- 백민재, Minjae Baek (2017-02-13). "박보검, 카카오페이지 공식 모델 발탁 | Park Bogum, chosen as official model of KakaoPage". Gametoc.
|This Korea-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|