Kabani Nadi Chuvannappol
Kabani Nadi Chuvannappol (When the River Kabani Turned Red) is a 1975 Malayalam feature film directed by P. A. Backer, produced by Pavithran, and starring T. V. Chandran, Shalini, Raveendran and J. Siddiqui. This leftist political drama film came out during the Emergency period. It was the directorial debut of P. A. Backer, who won that year's awards for Best Director and Second Best Film at the Kerala State Film Awards. Pavithran, who later directed many critically acclaimed Malayalam films produced the film. T. V. Chandran, who also later went on to direct a bevy of award-winning films in Malayalam and Tamil, played the lead role. After certain post-production controversies, the film debuted in theatres on 16 July 1976.
|Kabani Nadi Chuvannappol|
A screenshot from the film
|Directed by||P. A. Backer|
|Written by||P. A. Backer|
|Starring||T. V. Chandran|
Saga Movie Makers
The film is a love story between a young woman (Shalini) and a radical political activist (T. V. Chandran), who is declared to be Naxalite. The film ends with the police killing him and the woman learning about his death through the newspaper.
- TV Chandran
- Salam Karassery
- J Sidhiq
- Miss Don
- K. Ravindran
Production and releaseEdit
The principal production started in June 1975. The day when shoot of the film commenced in Bangalore, Emergency was declared in India. Strict warnings by the Government against any act that supported extremist activity left P. A. Backer, in two minds for the film had a Naxalite as its hero. Both Backer and Chandran sought Pavithran's opinion who had said, "Let's go ahead.".
The film was screened at several film festivals in 1975. It was not given the censor certificate for the theme it dealt with for more than a year. It released in theatres during the Emergency period itself, on 16 July 1976.
The English title of the film is When the River Kabani Turned Red.
- "Obituary" (PDF). Deccan Herald. cscsarchive.org. 23 November 1993. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 July 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Pavithran". Cinemaofmalayalam.net. Archived from the original on 25 May 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Soul on Fire". The Indian Express. cscsarchive.org. 19 April 1998. Archived from the original on 25 July 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "T.V.Chandran". Cinemaofmalayalam.net. Archived from the original on 25 May 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "P.A.Backer". Cinemaofmalayalam.net. Archived from the original on 18 February 2013. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "In memory of a master filmmaker". The Hindu. 9 May 2008. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Kabani Nadi Chuvannappol. Malayalam Movie Database. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- R. Ayyappan (1 January 2000). "Sleaze time, folks". Rediff. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- "Kerala State Film Awards 1969 - 2008" Archived 3 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine. Government of Kerala Public Relations Department. Retrieved 16 March 2011.