Kaappaan (transl. Protector) is a 2019 Indian Tamil-language action thriller film written and directed by K. V. Anand and co-written by Pattukkottai Prabakar. It is produced by Lyca Productions and stars Suriya, Mohanlal, Arya and Sayyeshaa. The film was released theatrically on 20 September 2019.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||K. V. Anand|
|Produced by||Allirajah Subaskaran|
|Written by||Pattukkottai Prabakar (Dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||K. V. Anand|
|Story by||K. V. Anand|
|Music by||Harris Jayaraj|
|Cinematography||M. S. Prabhu|
|Box office||₹100 crore[disputed ]|
Kathiravan is an Special Protection Group (SPG) commando, providing security for Prime Minister Chandrakanth Varma. When Chandrakanth is assassinated in a car bomb blast in Jammu, Kathir sets out to discover the person/group behind his assassination.
- Suriya as Kathiravan aka Kathir, an SPG commando
- Mohanlal as Prime Minister Chandrakanth Varma
- Arya as Abhishek Chandrakanth Varma
- Sayyeshaa as Anjali
- Samuthirakani as Joseph Selvaraj, SPG Director
- Boman Irani as Mahadev
- Chirag Jani as Ranjith Kumar
- Poorna as Priya Joseph, Joseph‘s wife
- Prem as Prem, SPG
- Kiran as Vivek, SPG
- Uma Padmanabhan as Chandrakanth Varma's wife
- Paruthiveeran Sujatha as Kathiravan's mother
- Thalaivasal Vijay as Santhosh
- Shankar Krishnamurthy as Sundhar
- Swaminathan as Ramanujam
- Nagineedu as Sikander
- Pattukkottai Prabakar in a special appearance as a journalist
- M. S. Prabhu in a special appearance as Kashmir collector
- Anthony in a special appearance as Irfan, interrogation officer
- Nikitha Harris Jayaraj in a special appearance in the song "Vinnil Vinmeen"
Principal photography of the film commenced on 25 June 2018,in London. Arya replaced Allu Sirish who opted out of the film due to scheduling conflicts, making his first collaboration with Suriya. The film was shot on multiple locations at various places across the world including New York, Brazil, New Delhi and Hyderabad. It was referred to, colloquially, by the media as Suriya 37 as it is the thirty-seventh film to star Suriya. The film also marks Boman Irani's Tamil debut. Amitabh Bachchan was approached for an extended cameo role as the Prime Minister of India, but later Mohanlal was roped in.
Initially, Gavemic U. Ary of Jigarthanda fame was announced as the cinematographer of the film, but in a turn of events Abhinandan Ramanujam replaces him. Later, cinematographer Ramanujam left the project after the first schedule, apparently due to scheduling conflicts with cinematography commitments for Malayalam film 9. Subsequently, M. S. Prabhu who previously collaborate with Suriya and director Anand for the film Ayan was assigned as cinematographer.
Also, it was revealed that Harris Jayaraj, Anthony and D. R. K. Kiran was assigned as music director, film editor and art director respectively, continuing their association with the director from his previous films.
The makers had registered three titles: Kaappaan, Meetpaan and Uyirkaa, and asked fans to choose what title to name the film through a poll. Although the majority of fans voted for Uyirkaa, on 31 December 2018, Lyca Productions announced the film's title as Kaappaan.
The movie shot a song sequence on Indonesia's Java island. Director K.V Anand shared the news via Twitter. It was also reported that Mohanlal will play the Indian Prime Minister, and Suriya is said to play a high-ranking security officer.
The soundtrack album is scored by Harris Jayaraj in his fifth collaboration with director K. V. Anand. On July 21, the audio launch event of Kaappaan was held in Chennai in a grand manner.  It was a star-studded affair that saw the likes of Rajinikanth, director Shankar, and lyricist Vairamuthu attend the event. Harris' daughter Karen Nikita Harris has made her debut as a singer with this film, lending her voice to the song 'Vinnil Vinmeen'.
Upon release, the album received a positive review from Firstpost, commenting that "Harris Jayraj composes yet another album loaded with chartbusters for Suriya's film. Dipped in quintessential Harris signature, the album offers different styles of music, ending up with different results."  Suriya and Harris Jayaraj have collaborated for the 9th time through this film.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||21 July 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Sony Music India|
|Harris Jayaraj chronology|
|Singles from Kaappaan|
|1.||"Siriki"||S. Gnanakaravel||Senthil Ganesh, Ramani Ammal||04:43|
|2.||"Vinnil Vinmeen"||Vairamuthu||Nikitha Harris||03:54|
|3.||"Hey Amigo"||Vairamuthu||Leslie Lewis, Jonita Gandhi||04:32|
|4.||"Kurilae Kurilae"||Kabilan||Javed Ali, Darshana KT||04:21|
|5.||"Machan Inga Vandhira"||Kabilan Vairamuthu, GK||Kharesma Ravichandran, Nikhita Gandhi||03:38|
On 31 December 2018, Lyca Productions announced the film's title as Kaappaan, following by two first look posters released on the New Year's Day, 1 January 2019. The teaser for the film was released, coinciding with the Tamil New Year on 14 April 2019. Initially, the makers announced that the film is scheduled to release on 30 August 2019, but considering the release of Saaho, which is scheduled on the same date, the release was pushed to 20 September 2019. The first trailer of the film was released on the YouTube channel of the production company on 4 September 2019, followed by the second trailer which was released on 14 September 2019. The film is dubbed into Telugu as Bandoobast and was released on 20 September 2019.
Behindwoods rated 2.5 out of 5 stars stating "Kaappan is a watchable commercial drama and action treat to Suriya fans, that has some good engaging moments".
Times of India rated 2 out of 5 stars stating "KV Anand’s Kaappaan feels like one of those patriotic films that Vijayakanth and Arjun frequently made in the 90s, but is not as entertaining as those.".
Kaappaan earned approximately ₹100 crore (US$14 million) worldwide in its lifetime.
- "Suriya's Kaappaan gets new release date". The New Indian Express. 20 September 2019.
- "Suriya has become socially-conscious now: KV Anand on 'Kaappaan'". The Hindu. 17 August 2019.
- "Suriya-Mohanlal's Kaappaan earns Rs 100 crore". The Times of India. 11 October 2019.
- "'Suriya 37' to be directed by KV Anand - Times of India". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 27 November 2018. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- "Suriya's next with KV Anand goes on the floors in London". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 23 July 2018. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- "Suriya 37 director KV Anand ropes in Arya for pivotal role; Tamil actor joins shoot in London". Firstpost. Archived from the original on 19 July 2018. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- "After Vijay's 'Sarkar', Prem Kumar also in Suriya 37!". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 24 August 2018. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- "Suriya's Kaappaan gets new release date". The New Indian Express. 5 August 2019.
- "KV Anand:". Sify.
- "Let's focus our energies on more productive things: Suriya to fans on body shaming comments". 20 January 2018.
- David Johnson (10 June 2019). "Sun TV acquires satellite rights of Suriya-Mohanlal's Kaappaan". Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Suriya's Kaappaan Villain Chirag Jani Well On the Road To Recovery". 20 June 2019. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Sashidar Adivi (25 February 2019). "Poorna to act alongside Suriya". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Kaappaan: Siriki lyric video promises a colorful festive feel!". 5 July 2019. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Kaappaan". www.filmibeat.com. Retrieved 6 September 2019.
- "Suriya 37: Allu Sirish not a part of Suriya-KV Anand film". indianexpress.com. 20 July 2018. Archived from the original on 22 July 2018. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- "Suriya 37 director KV Anand ropes in Arya for pivotal role; Tamil actor joins shoot in London- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 6 July 2018. Archived from the original on 22 July 2018. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- "Suriya 37: Allu Sirish not a part of Suriya-KV Anand film". The Indian Express. Archived from the original on 20 July 2018. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- "'Suriya 37': KV Anand releases new poster on Suriya's birthday". The Times of India. 23 July 2018. Archived from the original on 26 July 2018. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- "Abhinandan replaces Gavemic U Ary as cinematographer in Suriya-KV Anand project". Cinema Express. 27 June 2018. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- "MS Prabhu replaces Abhinandan Ramanujam for Suriya-KV Anand film". Behindwoods. 16 August 2018. Archived from the original on 15 December 2018. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- "Suriya 37 is Kaappaan: Director KV Anand's film gets a name". India Today. 1 January 2018. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- Suganth, M. (1 January 2019). "Suriya's film with KV Anand titled 'Kaappaan'". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- Lyca Productions [@LycaProductions] (31 December 2018). "Here We Go! #Suriya37 is #KAAPPAAN 🔥💥🌟 START MUSIC #HappyNewYear @Suriya_offl @anavenkat @Mohanlal @arya_offl @Jharrisjayaraj" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ChennaiJanuary 1, India Today Web Desk; January 1, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 14:04. "Suriya 37 is Kaappaan: Director KV Anand's film gets a name". India Today. Retrieved 4 January 2019.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "Suriya - KV Anand's 'Kaappaan' team lands in Java for a song sequence". www.thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- "Suriya's Kaappaan heads to Java in Indonesia for song shoot. See picture". Hindustan Times. 26 April 2019. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- "Harris Jayaraj's daughter debuts in Suriya movie - Tamil News". IndiaGlitz.com. 21 July 2019.
- ChennaiJuly 22, India Today Web Desk; July 22, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 08:49. "Mohanlal heaps praises on Suriya at Kaappaan audio launch: He has irresistible passion as an actor". India Today.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "Rajinikanth, Shankar, and Vairamuthu come together for 'Kaappaan'!". Sify.
- "Kaappaan audio launch: Rajinikanth backs Suriya's NEP stand, Mohanlal praises director KV Anand- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 22 July 2019.
- "Kaappaan music review: Harris Jayraj composes yet another album loaded with chartbusters for Suriya's film- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 25 July 2019.
- "Suriya's 'Kaappaan' renamed as 'Bandobast' in Telugu". The Times of India. 28 June 2019.
- "KAAPPAAN MOVIE REVIEW". Behindwoods.
- "Kaappaan Movie Review : Suriya and Mohanlal starrer is a frustrating action film". TimesofIndia.
- "Suriya-Mohanlal's Kaappaan earns Rs 100 crore". The Times of India. 11 October 2019. Retrieved 13 October 2019.