KBS Cool FM
KBS Cool FM (Hangul : KBS 쿨FM)(also known as KBS 2FM Hangul : KBS 제2FM방송) is a 24-hour Hot AC music radio station of the Korean Broadcasting System. It plays mostly older K-pop Music from the 90s compared to KBS Happy FM which plays the latest K-pop tracks. Notable shows include Popular Plaza, Volume Up and Kiss the Radio.
|Broadcast area||Seoul, Incheon, Gyeonggi Province, Chuncheon, Wonju, Hongcheon, Hoengseong, Cheorwon, Cheonan, Asan, Yesan, Hongseong, Dangjin, Seosan, Taean, South Korea (with nationwide popularization propagation broadcast.)|
|Frequency||89.1 FM MHz |
90.9 FM MHz
97.7 FM MHz
|Branding||KBS Cool FM|
|KBS Radio 1,|
KBS Radio 2,
KBS Radio 3,
KBS Classic FM
First air date
|1965~1980 (as TBC)|
1980~Present (as KBS 2FM)
Former call signs
|HLCD-FM (FM Radio 1965~1966)|
|AM 639 kHz (Repeater until 1980)|
Call sign meaning
KBS Cool FM
|Class||A, B, C, D, E|
|Power||10,000 watts (Seoul)|
TBC Radio EraEdit
- 1965-06-26 : Tongyang Broadcasting Corporation (Hangul: 동양 방송 공사) (Former body of JTBC.) was launched.
- 1965-06-27 : Radio Seoul Broadcasting (Hangul: 라디오 서울 방송) HLCD 89.1 MHz Started broadcasting.
- 1966 : Renamed as TBC-FM. 639 kHz AM Repeater launched.
- 1970 : TBC-FM Started South Korea's First Stereo FM Broadcast.
- 1980-12-01 : TBC-FM forced to be merged into KBS Radio by the special law of Chun Doo-hwan, president of military authorities.
KBS 2FM EraEdit
- 1980-12-25 : Relaunched as KBS 2FM (Korean : KBS 제2FM) with a Trot and Popular Music format. Callsign changed to HLKC-FM and 639 kHz AM Repeater stopped broadcasting with the frequency used to form KBS Radio 3. Airing of advertisements where abolished and started airing selected shows nationwide through Cross-Broadcast with the KBS Local FM Network along with KBS 1FM.
- 1988-12-24 : KBS 2FM Started Partial 24-hour Broadcast (Monday~Friday 24-hours Saturday~Sunday 18-hours).
- 1990-05-30 : Transmission power increased (TPO:1 kW ERP:173.5 kW → TPO:10 kW ERP:350 kW)
- 1994-10-01 : 24-hour Broadcast started.
Cool FM EraEdit
- 2002-01-01 : Commercial advertisements resume broadcast on 2FM and nationwide cross-broadcast with the Local FM network where abolished.
- 2003-10-10 : Relaunched as KBS Cool FM (Korean : KBS 쿨FM)
- 2005-03-03 : KBS Cool FM Opened its studio to the public along with KBS Radio 2.
- 2006 : Started visual radio (BORA) broadcasts on the internet.
- 2010-03-02 : KBS Moved Cool FM's radio transmitter from Mount Namsan to Mount Gwanaksan.
- 2016 : KBS 2FM Resumed national broadcasting of select programs through Cross-Broadcast with Local Radio 2 Stations with Park Myeong-su's Radio Show being the first show to be heard nationally.
Cool FM is available terrestrially in select cities including Seoul, Incheon, Chuncheon, Wonju, Hongcheon, Hoengseong, Cheorwon, Cheonan, Asan, Yesan, Hongseong, Dangjin, Seosan, Taean, Jincheon, Eumseong and Chungju.
|Mt. Gwanaksan||HLKC-FM||FM 89.1 MHz||10 kW||Bisan-dong, Dongan-gu, Anyang-si, Gyeonggi-do (Mt. Gwanak)|
|Seongnam||-||FM 97.7 MHz||200W||Eunhaeng-dong, Jungwon-gu, Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi-do|
|Baengnyeongdo||-||FM 90.9 MHz||100W||Bukpo-ri, Baengnyeong-myeon, Ongjin-gun, Incheon metropolitan city|
DMB Radio(U-KBS Music)Edit
In other areas not reachable terrestrially, Cool FM's programs can be heard via U-KBS' DMB channels.
- Seoul : CH 12B
- Chuncheon : CH 13B
- Daejeon/Cheongju : CH 11B
- Gwangju/Jeonju: CH 12B/CH 8B/CH 7B
- Daegu : CH 7B/CH 9B
- Busan/Ulsan : CH 12B/CH 9B
- Jeju : CH 13B/CH 8B
- 대한민국 뉴스, 드라마, 대중음악 라디오 방송국 89.1 메가 사이클 TBC 동양방송 (South Korea's News, Drama, Popular Music Station 89.1 Megahertz TBC Tongyang Broadcasting TBC Era Slogan until 1980)
- 젊은 채널, 감성 채널 2FM (The Youth channel, The Emotional channel 2FM 2003~2014)
- 대중음악 89.1 (Popular Music 89.1 1980~1999 2010~2014)
- Today's Best Music 2FM (2014~Present)
2002 – KBS 2FM advertisement scandalEdit
KBS 2FM From 1980 until 2002 was prohibited to air commercial advertisements but in 2002 commercial advertisements resumed airing on KBS 2FM. The result KBS Local FM (a radio station owned by KBS used to air selected programs of KBS 1FM and KBS 2FM through a cross-broadcast schedule nationally) instead carried KBS 1FM programs even though only one KBS 2FM program Good Morning Pops where aired due to that the said program is prohibited to air advertisements excluding those of KOBACO (Korea Broadcast Advertising Corporation). However after 15 years since the abolishment of national broadcasts Park Myeong-su's Radio Show is aired on local KBS Happy FM stations in Busan, Changwon, Cheongju, Daejeon and Jeju starting April 2016 (and in June 2019 the program is also aired in the Gangwon-do region) this was due to its popularity and being consistently viral in internet search engines and on SNS (social media sites) this development marked the resumption of Cool FM's national broadcasts this time using the Local Happy FM network in the provinces, afterwards Jung Eun-ji's Gayo Plaza is aired in all Local Happy FM stations starting September 2016 for the same reasons, Good Morning Pops which was aired on the Local FM stations moved to Local Happy FM stations in February 2017 with this development the show is no longer aired on Local FM stations, in August 31, 2020 Kim Do-yeon's Fresh Morning also started national broadcast on all Local Happy FM stations and finally Lee Geum-hee's A good day to love also aired in selected Local Happy FM stations due to its high ratings starting in August 2, 2021.
- This was a result of the reformat of KBS Radio 2 back again as a pure popular music radio station in 2013.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (February 19, 2013). "Yoo In Na Becomes Queen of the Radio with #1 Radio Show". enewsWorld. Archived from the original on April 19, 2013. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "For Actress Yoo In-na, 'Wobbles' Are Just Part of Finding the Way". The Chosun Ilbo. June 8, 2013. Retrieved June 8, 2013.