K-IV water project
K-IV water project (Urdu: کے فور پانی کے منصوبہ) , abbreviated as K-IV, is a municipal infrastructure project being jointly developed by the provincial and federal governments in Karachi, Pakistan, to augment the city's daily water supply. The estimated cost is approximately Rs.25.5 billion, while the project is designed to provide 650 million gallons of water daily to Karachi in three phases. The new water supply will be extracted from Keenjhar Lake through three water canals. The project is slated for completion in mid-2019.
The project’s feasibility studies and design were completed by Osmani & Company Limited (OCL). Estimates prepared by the consultants in 2007-08 based on the preliminary designs were reviewed by different tiers of provincial and federal governments and finally the project was approved for Rs. 25.5B by ECNEC in the year 2011.
The total length of the Phase 1 of the project is 120km, of which approximately 92km is canal, 10 km are siphons, and approximately 8 km are RCC conduits. There are 2 pump stations capable of pumping of 260 million gallons per day each, and three filtration plants - one of 130 MGD and two of 65 MGD capacity.
- "Work begins on Rs25.5bn K-IV water project". DAWN. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "Sindh CM inaugurates K-4 drinking water project after 9-year delay". The Express Tribune. June 10, 2015. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "K4 Project - A $270 million project to double the capacity of Karachi's water supply system". slmdc.com.pk. Global Water Intelligence. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "QAIM DIRECTS TO UNDERTAKE K-4 WATER PROJECT AT EARLIEST". Radio Pakistan. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "First phase of water project 'K-4' to kick off in Karachi". Dunya News. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "Rs650m fraud detected in Karachi's Bhambore project". Pakistan Today.
- Bhagwandas (2018-03-06). "K-IV water project will not be operational this year, says minister". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- "Sindh govt ready to award K-IV project contract to FWO". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- "Sindh to hand over K-IV project to FWO". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- "Sindh govt decided to give K-IV project to FWO, to be launched on March 23". The Frontier Post. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- "Sindh to hand over K-IV project to FWO". News Pakistan. Retrieved 14 June 2016.