K-13 (also spelt K13) is a 2019 Indian Tamil-language psychological mystery film written and directed by Barath Neelakantan in his directorial debut. The film stars Arulnithi and Shraddha Srinath, while Gayathrie, Yogi Babu, and Ramesh Thilak play supporting roles. Sam C. S. has been roped in as music composer for the film replacing initially speculated music director turned actor Darbuka Siva due to the latter's acting and directorial commitments and aspirations. The film was released on 3 May 2019 to positive reviews.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Barath Neelakantan|
|Produced by||SP Sankar|
|Written by||Barath Neelakantan|
|Music by||Sam C. S.|
|Distributed by||SP Cinemas|
|3 May 2019|
|Box office||₹5.5 crore|
Madhiazhagan, a dejected aspirant filmmaker, finds himself in trouble when he wakes up to find that Malarvizhi, with whom he spent some time the last night, has been killed at her room. Quite distressed with seeing himself tied to a chair and the girl with her veins brutally cut, Madhi tries to recollect how he met Malar the last night at a pub while he was drunk. After regaining some consciousness, he starts searching her room as he was desperate to know more about her. He also realises the importance of clearing off the evidence regarding his presence in the room and starts acting accordingly. Meanwhile, he happens to listen to the conversations of neighbouring roommates in the flat and decides to escape from the room before getting caught. What happens next, is the rest of the film..
- Arulnithi as Mathiazhagan and Director Dhilip
- Shraddha Srinath as Malarvizhi
- Gayathrie as Pavithra
- Yogi Babu as Courier Boy
- Ramesh Thilak as Mathi's friend
- Ashvin Raja as Mathi's friend
- Jangiri Madhumitha as Neighbour
- Lizzie Antony as Inspector Thangam
- Barath Neelakandan as Poster Boy
- Charulatha as Mathi's friend
- Vasudha as Mathi's friend
- Eruma Saani Vijay as Mathi's friend
- Porkodi as Mathi's mother
- David as Neighbour
- Akalya Venkatesan as Malarvizhi's neighbour
- Vaidyanathan Padmanabhan
- Rishi Kanth
- Subramaniam Madhavan
- Adhik Ravichandran as Vijay (guest appearance)
The film is directed by debutant Barath Neelakantan and was tentatively titled as "Production No 2" before changing the title as K-13 with the genre depicted to be a psychological mystery film and the number K13 also depicts the house number. Initially, Darbuka Siva was chosen to score music for the film, but he left out of the project when most of the portions of the film were shot, and later, Sam CS replaced him as music director.
The soundtrack was composed by Sam C. S..
|Soundtrack album by|
|Sam C. S. chronology|
|1||"Bikki Likki"||Nikhita Gandhi||3:04|
|2||"Yaamam"||Swagatha S. Krishnan||4:09|
|3||"Oru Saayangalam"||Sam C. S.||4:21|
- "Watch: Arulnithi and Shraddha's 'K13' trailer looks exciting". The News Minute. 18 March 2019. Retrieved 23 November 2020.
- "Arulnithi and Shraddha Srinath's film 'K13' is a mystery". The Times of India. 4 January 2019. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
The film is essentially a psychological drama, with a non-linear screenplay. Generally, we tend to classify such a film as a thriller, but I'd say its genre is mystery.
- "Kannada girl Shraddha Srinath's next is K-13". The Times of India. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "K13 (aka) SP Production 2 review". Behindwoods. 3 May 2019.
- "Arulnithi's new thriller film titled 'K13'". Sify. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "ENPT sensation Darbuka Siva is no more a part of Arulnithi's next film!". in.com. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Sam CS replaces Darbuka Siva in Arulnithi-Shraddha film". The Times of India. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Sam CS replaces Darbuka Siva in K-13". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 6 March 2019.