Location of Juuka in Finland
|Sub-region||Pielinen Karelia sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Markus Hirvonen|
|• Total||1,846.58 km2 (712.97 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,501.79 km2 (579.84 sq mi)|
|• Water||344.78 km2 (133.12 sq mi)|
|Area rank||43rd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||179th largest in Finland|
|• Density||3.13/km2 (8.1/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.1% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.8%|
|• 15 to 64||61.6%|
|• 65 or older||24.6%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
It is located in the North Karelia region. The municipality has a population of 4,700 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 1,846.58 square kilometres (712.97 sq mi) of which 344.78 km2 (133.12 sq mi) is water. The population density is 3.13 inhabitants per square kilometre (8.1/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Villages of JuukaEdit
Juuka consists of 20 villages. Those are Ahmovara, Halivaara, the main village, Juuka, Kannas, Kajoo, Kuhnusta, Larinsaari, Matara, Nunnanlahti, Paalasmaa, Petrovaara, Pihlajavaara, Polvela, Raholanvaara, Timovaara, Tuopanjoki, Vaikko, Vihtasuo and Vuokko.
Juuka means a river that flows through a lake
Ellinpäivät is a scenario where in four days different associations, communities and companies arrange events to each day. To get information about these events there is some space booked in a newspaper Vaarojen Sanomat. There is info and a timetable for the events. The board selects the people who are in charge of the scenario. Elli means a person that is the figurehead of the scenario and a new figurehead is chosen every year.
The events can be, for example, concerts, market events, the declaring of a new Elli and a new event called “Juuret Juuassa –ryhmän Rehvit”. The event is basically a car show. Many retro cars and their drivers. It's, for that reason, called a nowadays rally for the elder youngsters.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Matti Puoskari: Puu-Juuan raitilta, ISBN 951-96823-5-X, page 8 finnish
Media related to Juuka at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Juuka – Official website in Finnish and partly in English and Russian
|This Eastern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|