Justin Anderson (baseball)
Justin Charles Anderson (born September 28, 1992) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels of Major League Baseball (MLB). The Angels selected him in the 14th round of the 2014 MLB draft. He made his MLB debut in 2018.
|Los Angeles Angels – No. 38|
|Born: September 28, 1992|
|April 23, 2018, for the Los Angeles Angels|
|MLB statistics |
(through May 13, 2019)
|Earned run average||3.93|
High school and collegeEdit
Anderson attended St. Pius X High School in Houston, Texas, and the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA). He played college baseball for the UTSA Roadrunners from 2012 through 2014. The Angels selected him in the 14th round of the 2014 MLB draft.
After signing with the Angels, Anderson was assigned to the Orem Owlz of the Rookie-level Pioneer League before being reassigned to the Arizona Angels of the Rookie-level Arizona League. In 29 innings pitched between the two teams, he had a 1–4 win–loss record with a 4.07 earned run average (ERA). In 2015, he played for the Burlington Bees of the Class A Midwest League, and he compiled a 9–9 record, 3.41 ERA, and a 1.39 walks plus hits per inning pitched (WHIP) in 28 games (22 starts).
He pitched for the Inland Empire 66ers of the Class A-Advanced California League in 2016, where he went 8–12 (2nd in the league in losses) with a 5.70 ERA in 28 games (27 starts), over 145.1 innings (4th in the league). Anderson moved to the bullpen in 2017 and played Inland Empire and the Mobile BayBears of the Class AA Southern League, posting a 3–2 record and 5.06 ERA in 46 relief appearances.
In 2018, Anderson began the season with Mobile, and after 3 2⁄3 scoreless innings, was promoted to the Salt Lake Bees of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League. The Angels promoted him to the major leagues on April 23, 2018. He made his major league debut that night. Anderson would appear in 57 games, going 3-3 and recording 4 saves with a 4.07 ERA, and striking out 67 in 55 1⁄3 innings (averaging 10.9 strikeouts per 9 innings) while walking 40 batters.
- Jeff Jenkins, Chronicle Correspondent (March 5, 2010). "Baseball: Veteran-led Panthers focus on repeat bid – Houston Chronicle". Chron.com. Retrieved April 23, 2018.
- McCrary, Cody (April 30, 2017). "Former UTSA standout Justin Anderson called up by Angels – San Antonio Express-News". Mysanantonio.com. Retrieved April 23, 2018.
- 2016 California League Pitching Leaders | Baseball-Reference.com
- "Justin Anderson Stats, Highlights, Bio – MiLB.com Stats – The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved April 30, 2018.
- Justin Anderson Stats | Baseball-Reference.com