Julie Dabrusin MP (born April 16, 1971) is a Canadian Liberal politician, who was elected to represent the riding of Toronto—Danforth in the House of Commons of Canada in the 2015 federal election.
Dabrusin at CFC Annual Gala in 2018
|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
|Assumed office |
October 19, 2015
|Preceded by||Craig Scott|
|Born||April 16, 1971|
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Dabrusin earned university degrees in law and Middle Eastern studies, and then spent thirteen years as an attorney with Rogers Partners LLP, as well as a year as commission counsel to an inquiry into government procurement. She and her family moved to the Danforth area in 1998. In 2011 she left her legal career to focus on raising her two daughters and participating in various community organizing and charitable activities aimed at promoting and preserving Toronto's public parks. In 2013, she was a recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.
She was nominated as the Liberal Party candidate in Toronto—Danforth for the 2015 federal election, running primarily on concerns about income inequality and government neglect of Canada's urban areas. Dabrusin won the election, unseating NDP incumbent Craig Scott. Even allowing for the massive Liberal wave that swept through Toronto in that election, Scott's defeat was both a surprise and a symbolic blow to the New Democrats. Toronto—Danforth was previously held by NDP leader Jack Layton and was considered to be a safe seat; it has long been one of the more left-leaning ridings in Toronto.
|Canadian federal election, 2015|
|New Democratic||Craig Scott||22,325||40.17||-19.27||–|
|Progressive Canadian||John Richardson||1,275||2.29||+1.65||–|
|Animal Alliance||Elizabeth Abbott||354||0.64||–||–|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||55,581||100.0||$209,972.56|
|Total rejected ballots||269||0.48||–|
|Liberal gain from New Democratic||Swing||–|
|Source: Elections Canada|
- Miller, Adam (20 October 2015). "Toronto-Danforth won by Julie Dabrusin in unexpected victory for the Liberals". Global News. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Meet Julie Dabrusin". liberal.ca. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Last, Paula (24 September 2015). "Julie Dabrusin seeks to close gap between rich and poor". The Toronto Observer. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "'It hurts': NDP shut out of downtown Toronto in Liberal crush". CBC News. 20 October 2015. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Elections Canada – Confirmed candidates for Toronto—Danforth, 30 September 2015
- Elections Canada – Preliminary Election Expenses Limits for Candidates Archived 2015-08-15 at the Wayback Machine