Julian Hunt, Baron Hunt of Chesterton
Julian Charles Roland Hunt, Baron Hunt of Chesterton CB FRS (born 5 September 1941) is a British meteorologist who was Director General and Chief Executive of the British Meteorological Office from 1992 to 1997. He was made a Life Peer of the Labour Party by Tony Blair in 2000. He was the leader on the Labour group of Cambridge City Council in the 1970s.
Hunt was educated at Westminster School and went on to study Mechanical Sciences at Trinity College, Cambridge where he is now a fellow, and gained a first class honours degree in 1963. In 1967 he was awarded a PhD on Aspects of Magnetohydrodynamics from Cambridge. In 1989, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society.
Hunt was made a life peer as Baron Hunt of Chesterton, Chesterton in the County of Cambridgeshire on 5 May 2000. He is the father of historian and former Member of Parliament for Stoke-on-Trent Central, Tristram Hunt, and journalist and novelist Jemima Hunt. Hunt is the great-nephew of noted meteorologist Lewis Fry Richardson.
He followed Sir John Houghton as Director-General and Chief Executive of the Meteorological Office in 1992, consequently being elected to the Executive Committee of the World Meteorological Organisation. In 1997 he left the Met Office and was replaced by Peter Ewins.
In recent years he has warned that the pattern of Asian monsoons could be fundamentally altered unless there is a concerted effort to check greenhouse gas emissions in the area. He is chairman of Cambridge Environmental Research Consultants Ltd.
- "Julian Hunt | Royal Society". royalsociety.org. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-06-22. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- Peerage creations since 1997 House of Lords: Library Note
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-09. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- "Trinity College Cambridge".
- "Person Page". www.thepeerage.com. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- berreby, david (19 August 2014). "Lewis Fry Richardson's weather forecasts changed the world. But could his predictions of war do the same?". The Independent.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-07-27. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- Dynamics, Global System. "GLOBAL SYSTEM DYNAMICS AND POLICIES: Julian Hunt".