This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Julia Neigel (born April 19, 1966 in Barnaul, Siberia, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union) is a German singer/songwriter, author and producer. Her family moved back to Germany in 1971. She lives in Ludwigshafen am Rhein in Rhineland-Palatinate.
|Birth name||Julia Neigel|
|Born||April 19, 1966|
|Origin||Ludwigshafen, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany|
|Genres||German Rock, Rock, Pop, Author (music)|
|Occupation(s)||singer, singer-songwriter, actress, author, entertainer|
(Wilde Welt / Nur nach vorn / Das Beste)
(Schatten an der Wand / Herzlich Willkommen / Sphinx / Alles)
(Stimme mit Flügel(n))
|Associated acts||Jule Neigel Band|
She began singing at 14 and her first album was released when she was 22, having made classical music earlier. Her style of music is soul and R&B influenced pop rock. She is noted for her vocal range of more than four octaves.
She played her first concert in 1982. In 1986, she joined The Stealers who eventually became Jule Neigel & Band and, later, Jule Neigel Band, the group with which she released her albums throughout the nineties. Neigel's first hit, "Schatten an der Wand", peaked at #30 on the German charts in the summer of 1988. Produced by Ralf Zang, who was also producer for Chaka Khan, her eponymous debut album followed later that year. Until the late nineties she released five more studio albums.
After a hiatus of several years she released a live record, "Stimme mit Flügeln", in 2006 and has been performing under her birth name rather than the Jule Neigel Band moniker since. 2011 saw the release of Neigelneu, her first studio album in more than a decade, the title being a play on the German term 'nagelneu' ('brand new').
Neigel has collaborated with musicians such as Simon Phillips, Paco de Lucía, Helmut Zerlett, Udo Lindenberg, Peter Maffay, and Edo Zanki, while opening for acts such as Status Quo, Toto, Rickie Lee Jones, and Ronan Keating.
With Jule Neigel Band
- 1988: Schatten an der Wand
- 1990: Wilde Welt
- 1991: Nur nach vorn
- 1993: Die besten Songs (Best Of)
- 1994: Herzlich Willkommen
- 1996: Sphinx
- 1997: Das Beste (Best Of)
- 1998: Alles
As Julia Neigel
- 2006: Stimme mit Flügel(n) (Live)
- 2011: Neigelneu
- 1988 GEMA Textpreis - Award for best Lyrics
- 1988 best singer " voting Musikfachblatt"
- 1988 best band " voting Musik Express"
- 1989 best singer " voting Musikfachblatt"
- 1989 best singer " voting Music Express"
- 1989 Tigra Award
- 1990 best singer "voting Musikfachblatt"
- 1990 best band " voting Musikfachblatt"
- 1990 best female singer "voting Music Express"
- 1991 best singer " voting Musikfachblatt"
- 1991 best female German singer "Rolling Stone"
- 1992 best German singer "voting Musikfachblatt"
- 1993 best female German singer "Rolling Stone"
- 1994 RSH Award best German artist
- 1994 ECHO Nomination for best female singer and best German video
- 1994 best female German singer "voting Musikfachblatt", "voting Music Express", "Rolling Stone"
- 1994 ECHO Nomination for best female German singer, best German video and best production
- 1995 ECHO Nomination for best female German singer
- 1995 best female German singer " voting Music Express", "Rolling Stone"
- 1996 ECHO Nomination for beste female singer
- 1996 Award for best production from German Phonakademie
- 1997 best female German singer "voting Musikfachblatt", "voting Music Express"
- 1996 best female German live Act "voting Musikfachblatt"
- 1997 bets female German singer "voting Music Express", "Rolling Stone"
- 1998 the artist award of Rhineland-Palatinate
- 1998 best female German singer, "Rolling Stone"