Judge Jerry is an American arbitration-based reality court show presided over by Jerry Springer, who previously hosted The Jerry Springer Show from 1991 to 2018. The series began its run in first-run syndication on September 9, 2019, and is distributed by NBCUniversal Syndication Studios.
|Genre||Arbitration-based reality court show|
|Created by||Jerry Springer|
|Starring||Jerry Springer, Najee Hinds|
|Narrated by||Jim Cutler|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||200+|
|Executive producer||Kerry Shannon (2019–present)|
|Running time||17-19 minutes (30 minutes with commercials)|
|Distributor||NBCUniversal Syndication Studios|
|Picture format||720p/1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||September 9, 2019 –|
|Related shows||Jerry Springer|
Host Jerry Springer had planned on retiring after his tabloid talk show ended production in 2018. NBCUniversal, which had syndicated that tabloid talk show, was interested in retaining Springer's services and convinced him to take on hosting duties for an arbitration court show, the distributor's first entry into the genre. Springer was intrigued by the opportunity to host a more "grown-up" program and to use his law school education.
The signature "Jerry! Jerry!" chant has been carried over to Judge Jerry, albeit only during the warm-up and never during the actual proceedings. Cases for Judge Jerry are chosen from pending small claims court cases that have already been filed in jurisdictions across the United States; according to Springer, this is to prevent litigants from purposely seeking out the show to earn 15 minutes of fame, a problem that had occasionally come up during the run of Jerry Springer. In regard to his judicial style, Springer largely plays it straight, though he notes: "invariably I crack jokes because I can't help it... even if I have to be stern I'm never going to be mean."
On February 5, 2020, the series was renewed for a second season. On March 23, 2021, the series was renewed for a third season, with the intent of presiding over more outrageous and entertaining cases compared to the previous two years.
- "Jerry Springer Syndicated Court Show 'Judge Jerry' From NBCU TV Distribution To Launch In Fall 2019". Deadline Hollywood. 26 November 2018. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "'Judge Jerry' Springer is coming to your TV next fall". New York Post. 23 October 2018. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- Littleton, Cynthia (26 November 2018). "Jerry Springer Segues From Trashy Talk to 'Judge Jerry' Court Show With NBCUniversal". Variety. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- ""Judge Jerry" Renewed for Second Season in National Syndication". The Futon Critic. February 5, 2020.
- Pedersen, Erik (March 23, 2021). "Jerry Springer's 'Judge Jerry' Renewed For Season 3 In Syndication". Deadline Hollywood.
- Starr, Michael (September 6, 2019). "'Judge Jerry' Springer moves from talk show 'circus' to courtroom". New York Post. Retrieved September 17, 2019.