Juan Martín Maldacena(Redirected from Juan Maldacena)
Juan Martín Maldacena (September 10, 1968 in Buenos Aires, Argentina) is a theoretical physicist. Among his many discoveries, the most famous one is the most reliable realization of the holographic principle – namely the AdS/CFT correspondence, the conjecture about the equivalence of string theory on Anti-de Sitter (AdS) space, and a conformal field theory defined on the boundary of the AdS space. In 2013, Maldacena co-authored an analysis of the 2012 black hole firewall paradox with Leonard Susskind, arguing that the paradox can be resolved if entangled particles are connected by minor wormholes."
September 10, 1968 |
Buenos Aires, Argentina
|Alma mater||Universidad Nacional de Cuyo, Princeton University|
|Known for||AdS/CFT correspondence
ABJM superconformal field theory
Fundamental Physics Prize
|Institutions||Institute for Advanced Study|
|Doctoral advisor||Curtis Callan|
Maldacena obtained his licenciatura (a 6-year degree) in 1991 at the Instituto Balseiro, Bariloche, Argentina, under the supervision of Gerardo Aldazábal. He then obtained his Ph.D. at Princeton University under the supervision of Curtis Callan in 1996, and went on to a post-doctoral position at Rutgers University. In 1997, he joined Harvard University as associate professor, being quickly promoted to Professor of Physics in 1999. Since 2001 he has been a professor at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey and in 2016 became the first Carl P. Feinberg Professor of Theoretical Physics in the Institute's School of Natural Sciences.
Maldacena has received these awards:
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Fellowship, 1998
- Packard Fellowship in Science and Engineering, 1998
- MacArthur Fellowship, 1999
- UNESCO Husein Prize for Young Scientists, 1999
- Sackler Prize in Physics, 2000
- Xanthopoulos International Award for Research in Gravitational Physics, 2001
- Pius XI Medal, 2002
- Edward A. Bouchet Award of the American Physical Society, 2004
- Dannie Heineman Prize, 2007
- Dirac Medal, 2008
- Pomeranchuk Prize, 2012
- Fundamental Physics Prize, 2012.
- Diamond Konex Award as the most important scientist in the last decade in Argentina, 2013
- Juan Martin Maldacena (1998). "The Large N Limit of Superconformal Field Theories and Supergravity". Adv. Theor. Math. Phys. 2 (2): 231–252. arXiv: . Bibcode:1998AdTMP...2..231M. doi:10.4310/atmp.1998.v2.n2.a1.
- Overbye, Dennis (12 August 2013). "A Black Hole Mystery Wrapped in a Firewall Paradox". New York Times. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "The Firewall Paradox". New York Times. 12 August 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- Cool horizons for entangled black holes
- "Meet the 1999 MacArthur Fellows". Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "Xanthopoulos International Award for research on Gravitational Physics".
- "2004 Edward A. Bouchet Award Recipient: Juan M. Maldacena". Retrieved 2011-08-24.
- New annual US$3 million Fundamental Physics Prize recognizes transformative advances in the field Archived 2012-08-03 at the Wayback Machine., FPP, accessed 1 August 2012