Cazares playing for Ecuador in 2015
|Full name||Juan Ramón Cazares Sevillano|
|Date of birth||3 April 1992|
|Place of birth||Quinindé, Ecuador|
|Height||1.71 m (5 ft 7 1⁄2 in)|
|2009–2011||Independiente del Valle|
|2010–2011||→ River Plate (loan)|
|2009–2011||Independiente del Valle||9||(1)|
|2010–2011||→ River Plate (loan)||0||(0)|
|2013||→ Barcelona SC (loan)||2||(0)|
|2013–2015||→ Banfield (loan)||76||(10)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 26 March 2021|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 26 October 2019
Born in Quinindé, Esmeraldas, Cazares moved to Guayaquil at early age and joined Barcelona's youth setup in 2006, aged 14. After being rarely used, he moved to Norte América in 2009, and subsequently joined Independiente José Terán later in the same year.
In January 2010, Cazares was loaned to River Plate. Initially assigned to the reserves, he impressed enough to secure a permanent contract in August of the following year. River paid Independiente US$ 500,000 for 50% of his rights, with a further one million in a future sale.
Cazares made his first team debut for River on 7 December 2011, coming on as a late substitute for goalscorer Chori Domínguez in a 1–0 Copa Argentina home win against Defensores de Belgrano; he became the first Ecuadorian to play for the club. In 2012, after establishing himself as a starter for the B-side, he won the 2012 U-20 Copa Libertadores and was also elected the tournament's best player.
Cazares was called up to train with the first team for ahead of the 2012–13 campaign by manager Matías Almeyda. He made his Primera División debut on 26 August 2012, replacing Manuel Lanzini in a 0–0 draw home draw against San Lorenzo.
Cazares was made a starter in the following matchday, a 1–1 draw at Colón on 2 September. After the sacking of Almeyda and the appointment of Ramón Díaz, he was not utilized by the club and subsequently placed in the loan list.
On 25 February 2013, Cazares was loaned to his first club Barcelona for six months. He made his debut for his childhood club on 10 March, coming on as an 80th-minute substitute for José Ayoví in a 1–0 home win against Macará.
Cazares only made one further appearance for Barcelona, starting in a 1–2 loss at El Nacional on 21 April 2013, before returning to River in July.
On 10 July 2013, Cazares was loaned to Primera B Nacional side Banfield for one year, reuniting with his former River manager Almeyda. He made his debut for the club on 5 August, starting in a 1–1 away draw against Almirante Brown.
Cazares scored his first goals abroad on 7 December 2013, netting a brace in a 4–2 home win against Unión de Santa Fe. He finished the season as an undisputed starter, scoring four goals in 38 appearances as his side achieved a top tier promotion as champions.
In July 2014, Cazares' loan was renewed for a further 18 months, with Banfield having a 1.5 million buyout clause for the remaining 50% of his rights (which belonged to Independiente). He scored his first goal in the main category of Argentine football on 24 August, netting the last in a 2–0 away success over San Lorenzo.
On 27 December 2016, Cazares agreed to join Série A club Atlético Mineiro, who paid 1.5 million dollars for 50% of his rights directly to Independiente. Presented the following 4 January, he had to wait until 23 February to be registered due to bureaucratic problems involving his previous clubs.
Cazares made his debut for Galo on 24 February 2016, starting in a 1–0 home win against former club Independiente for the year's Copa Libertadores. He scored his first goal for the club on 17 March, in a 3–0 home success over Colo-Colo for the same competition.
Cazares also scored Atlético's first goal in 2016 Campeonato Brasileiro Série A, in a 1–0 win against Santos. Returning from the Copa América Centenario in June, he scored goals against both Ponte Preta (3–0 home win) and Corinthians (2–1 home win); late in the month, he scored a double in a 5–3 home success over Botafogo, taking his tally up to six goals in only six league matches.
After establishing himself as a starter, Cazares suffered a thigh injury, which kept him out for nearly a month. On 7 December 2016, during the 2016 Copa do Brasil Finals, he scored from his own half to equalize the second leg against Grêmio. The match, however, ended 1–1 and his side finished runners-up after a 3–1 defeat in the first leg.
Cazares scored his first goal of 2017 on April 27 in a 2017 Copa Libertadores 2–0 home victory against Paraguayan club Libertad. His first brace came on May 4, in a 5–1 away victory against Bolivian club Sport Boys. On May 7 Cazares assisted the winning goal in a 2–1 victory against rivals Cruzeiro, winning his first trophy with the club. On May 16, Cazares scored a brace against Godoy Cruz to win the home match 4–1, qualifying Atletico Mineiro in the top–spot of Group 6. On June 18, Cazares scored a goal against giants Sao Paulo FC, winning their first match of the league 2–1. Cazares scored his first Copa do Brasil goal of 2017 on June 30 against Botafogo winning the first–leg match 1–0. On July 2, Cazares scored his first goal ever against club rivals Cruzeiro, winning 3–1.
Cazares represented Ecuador under-20s in 2011 South American U-20 Championship and 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup, scoring a goal against Colombia in the former tournament. On 6 September 2014 he made his debut for the full squad, starting and scoring the second in a 4–0 friendly win against Bolivia.
- As of 4 December 2019.
|Independiente DV||2009||Serie B||9||1||—||—||—||9||1|
|River Plate||2011–12||Primera B Nacional||0||0||4||0||—||—||4||0|
|Barcelona SC (loan)||2013||Serie A||2||0||—||0||0||—||2||0|
|Banfield (loan)||2013–14||Primera B Nacional||38||4||0||0||—||—||38||4|
|Atlético Mineiro||2016||Série A||17||6||7||1||7||2||9||1||40||10|
- As of 30 October 2019.
|Ecuador national team|
|1||6 September 2014||Lockhart Stadium, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States||Bolivia||Friendly|
- Atlético Mineiro
- ""Mi presente es River"" ["My present is at River"] (in Spanish). Olé. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "(4–0) Independiente golea en su reducto al Municipal Cañar y se consolida en la segunda casilla" [(4–0) Independiente thrash Municipal Cañar at home and consolidate in the second place] (in Spanish). Teradeportes. 7 September 2009. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Goles de primera" [Top tier goals] (in Spanish). ESPN. 9 June 2011. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "¿Qué es de la vida de..." [How is the life of...?] (in Spanish). Olé. 11 May 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Cazares se queda en River" [Cazares stays at River] (in Spanish). Mundo River. 26 August 2011. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "River venció al Defensores de Ortega y avanzó en la Copa Argentina" [River defeated Defensores de Ortega and advanced in the Copa Argentina] (in Spanish). La Voz del Interior. 8 December 2011. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "El ecuatoriano Juan Cazares, mejor jugador de Copa Libertadores Sub20" [Ecuadorian Juan Cazares, best player of U-20 Copa Libertadores] (in Spanish). El Tiempo. 2 July 2012. Archived from the original on 20 December 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "River, que intentó un poco más, empató con San Lorenzo" [River, who tried a little more, drew with San Lorenzo] (in Spanish). ESPN Deportes. 26 August 2012. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "River arruinó la fiesta de Colón: 1–1" [River ruined Colón's party: 1–1] (in Spanish). ESPN Deportes. 2 September 2012. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Juan Cazares jugará por seis meses a préstamo en Barcelona, según medio argentino" [Juan Cazares will play for six months on loan at Barcelona, according to Argentine newspaper] (in Spanish). El Universo. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "(1–0) Con golazo de Nahuelpan, Barcelona logra su primera victoria de la temporada" [(1–0) With a great Nahuelpan goal, Barcelona get their first victory of the season] (in Spanish). Teradeportes. 10 March 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Confirmado: Cazares es jugador de Banfield" [Confirmed: Cazares is a Banfield player] (in Spanish). La Página Millonaria. 10 July 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Los pases de Banfield" [The federative rights of Banfield] (in Spanish). Olé. 4 August 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Atlético-MG fecha com equatoriano e aguarda fim de contrato para anunciá-lo" [Atlético-MG sign Ecuadorian and wait for the end of the contract to announce him] (in Portuguese). UOL Esporte. 27 December 2015. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Com reforços, Galo inicia pré-temporada" [With additions, Galo start the pre-season] (in Portuguese). Atlético Mineiro. 4 January 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Cazares aparece no BID e finalmente pode fazer estreia pelo Atlético-MG" [Cazares appears on BID and finally can debut for Atlético-MG] (in Portuguese). ESPN Brasil. 23 February 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Na estreia de Robinho, Cazares brilha, e Galo vence o Independiente del Valle" [In Robinho's debut, Cazares shines, and Galo defeat Independiente del Valle] (in Portuguese). Terra. 24 February 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Atlético-MG faz três no Colo-Colo no Horto e fica a um ponto das oitavas da Libertadores" [Atlético-MG score three on Colo-Colo at the Horto and stay one point shy of Libertadores' round of 16] (in Portuguese). ESPN Brasil. 16 March 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "No Horto, reservas do Atlético Mineiro vencem o Santos por 1 a 0 na estreia do Brasileirão" [At the Horto, Atlético Mineiro's reserves defeat Santos by 1–0 in the debut of the Brasileirão] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 14 May 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- "Frango e golaço: Atlético-MG bate Ponte e vence a primeira com Marcelo Oliveira" [Howler and great goal: Atlético-MG defeat Ponte and win the first one under Marcelo Oliveira] (in Portuguese). ESPN Brasil. 19 June 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Cazares tem ruptura no tendão e pode desfalcar o Galo por até três meses" [Cazares has tendon rupture and may defalcate Galo for three months] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 12 July 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Após vitória, Galo se reapresenta com volta de Cazares e Júnior Urso" [After victory, Galo reappears with the return of Cazares and Júnior Urso] (in Portuguese). Gazeta Esportiva. 8 September 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Watch Juan Cazares stripe a beautiful goal from inside his own half". Fox Sports. 8 December 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Corinthians anuncia contratação de Cazares" [Corinthians announces Cazares] (in Portuguese). globoesporte.globo.com. 26 September 2020. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Ecuador goleó 4–0 a Bolivia en el retorno del DT Sixto Vizuete" [Ecuador thrashed Bolivia by 4–0 in the return of manager Sixto Vizuete] (in Spanish). El Universo. 6 September 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Banfield anuncia que Cazares jugará la Copa América" [Banfield announce that Cazares will play in the Copa América] (in Spanish). La República. 31 May 2015. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Erazo, Cazares e Miller Bolaños são convocados para a Copa América" [Erazo, Cazares and Miller Bolaños are called up for the Copa América] (in Portuguese). Jovem Pan. 19 May 2016. Archived from the original on 21 December 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- Juan Cazares at Soccerway. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Juan Cazares". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman. Retrieved 15 December 2016.