Joshua D. Zimmerman
Joshua D. Zimmerman (born 1966) is Professor of History at Yeshiva University, where he holds the Eli and Diana Zborowski Professorial Chair in Interdisciplinary Holocaust Studies. He is the author of The Polish Underground and the Jews, 1939-1945 by Cambridge University Press (2015, hardback) and of Contested Memories. Poles and Jews during the Holocaust and Its Aftermath by Rutgers University Press (2003, hardcover) as well as Poles, Jews and the Politics of Nationality: The Jewish Labor Bund and the Polish Socialist Party in Late Czarist Russia, 1892–1914. Zimmerman graduated from the University of California at Santa Cruz in 1989 with a BA(Hons) in History, and with the M.A. in History from UCLA in 1993. In February 1998 he completed his PhD thesis in Comparative History at Brandeis University, and in the summer 2004 was appointed to the position of Associate Professor of History at Yeshiva University in New York City. Zimmerman is an American author proficient in Yiddish, Polish, Hebrew, Russian, and French.
Joshua D. Zimmerman
|Notable works||Contested Memories|
[Contested Memories] is the first attempt since the fall of Communism to reassess the existing historiography of Polish-Jewish relations just before, during, and after the Second World War. In the spirit of detached scholarly inquiry, these essays fearlessly challenge commonly held views on both sides of the debates.
Among the contributing writers to Contested Memories are some notable scholars of the Holocaust as well as professors of leading universities including Zvi Gitelman, Nechama Tec, Israel Gutman, Henry Abramson, Samuel Kassow, Dariusz Stola, David Engel, Stanisław Krajewski, Feliks Tych, Gunnar S. Paulsson, and Michael C. Steinlauf.
A 2018 Polish edition of The Polish Underground and the Jews, 1939–1945  contains a number of corrections.
- Contested Memories: Poles and Jews during the Holocaust and its Aftermath (Editor). New Brunswick, NJ and London: Rutgers University Press, 2003, ISBN 978-0-8135-3158-8.
- Poles, Jews and the Politics of Nationality: the Bund and the Polish Socialist Party in Late Tsarist Russia, 1892–1914, Madison: The University of Wisconsin Press, 2004.
- The Jews of Italy under Fascist and Nazi Rule, 1922–1945 (Editor). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- The Polish Underground and the Jews, 1939–1945, New York & Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2015, ISBN 9781107014268.
- Joshua D. Zimmerman (ed) (January 2003). Contested Memories. Poles and Jews during the Holocaust and Its Aftermath (348 pages). Author / Editor Bio. Rutgers University Press. ISBN 978-0-8135-3158-8. Retrieved 22 March 2015.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Y.U. (2015). "Joshua D. Zimmerman". Associate Professor of History. Yeshiva University, New York, NY. Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- Biblio (ed.) (2003-01-10). Contested Memories: Poles and Jews during the Holocaust and Its Aftermath (Hardcover). Books on Biblio.com. Rutgers University Press. ISBN 0813531586. Retrieved 22 March 2015.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Yeshiva University (2015). "Joshua D. Zimmerman" (PDF file, direct download). Curriculum Vitae. Yeshiva University, New York, NY. Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- "Książka "Polskie Państwo Podziemne i Żydzi w czasie II wojny światowej" – JEWISH.ORG.PL". jewish.org.pl.
- Joshua D. Zimmerman in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Joshua D. Zimmerman, Holocaust - The Destruction of European Jewry, Yeshiva University, Bernard Reval Graduate School. Outline.
- Joshua D. Zimmerman, History and Culture of the Jews in Eastern Europe, 1772–1914, Yeshiva University, Stern College. Outline.