Joshua Stephen Outman (born September 14, 1984) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. He has pitched in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Oakland Athletics (2008-2009, 2011), Colorado Rockies (2012-2013), Cleveland Indians (2014), and New York Yankees (2014).
Outman with the New York Yankees in 2014
|Born: September 14, 1984|
St. Louis, Missouri
|September 2, 2008, for the Oakland Athletics|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||4.43|
Outman pitched for Forest Park Community College in Saint Louis, before transferring to the Central Missouri State. While playing for the Mules he posted a 10-2 record and helped the Mules finish third in the NCAA Division II World Series. Outman was one of five Mules drafted in the 2005 MLB Draft.
Outman was called up to the majors for the first time on September 2, 2008, and pitched two scoreless innings that night against the Kansas City Royals, striking out two. Outman's performance in the 2009 season gave him the fan nickname "Out-Man", because of his ability to get the easy outs. Outman's brother, Zachary, was selected by the Toronto Blue Jays, in the 28th round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft, out of Saint Louis University.
After a successful first half of the 2009 season starting 12 games for the Athletics. Outman was placed on the disabled list with an injury to his pitching elbow. Outman underwent Tommy John surgery, ending his season on June 30.
Outman, recovering from surgery, missed the entire 2010 season.
In 2011, Outman pitched 58.1 innings (starting 9 games), with a 3–5 record, 35 strikeouts and 3.70 ERA.
On January 14, 2014, Outman avoided arbitration after filing for arbitration earlier that morning. He was the first player to avoid arbitration in 2014. Cots Contracts reported that he had signed a 1 year/$1.25M contract.
On June 18, 2014, the Indians designated Outman for assignment and was outrighted on June 25.
New York YankeesEdit
Josh Outman was acquired by the New York Yankees on August 28, 2014 in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. He was designated for assignment on September 22, 2014. Outman elected free agency September 30, 2014.
New Britain BeesEdit
On July 9, 2016, Outman signed a minor league deal with the Pittsburgh Pirates. He was released by the Pirates on August 13, 2016.
Acereros de MonclovaEdit
Pericos de PueblaEdit
He was traded to the Pericos de Puebla on June 24, 2017.
Rieleros de AguascalientesEdit
On November 11, 2017, he was traded to the Rieleros de Aguascalientes along with Andres Ivan Meza, Julio Felix, and Ramon Delgado. He was released prior to the 2018 season.
New Britain Bees (second stint)Edit
Pericos de Puebla (second stint)Edit
Piratas de CampecheEdit
Outman throws five pitches, relying most heavily on a four-seam fastball at 93–96 mph. He also throws a two-seamer (90–95), a slider (80–83), a changeup (78–83), and a curveball (low-to-mid 70s). His changeup is not thrown to left-handed hitters, but is a common pitch against right-handers. He uses his slider a great deal against lefties, but typically uses it against righties only in 2-strike counts. Throughout his career, the slider has been his best swing-and-miss pitch, with a whiff rate of 46% through June 2012.
- Scout.com: Josh Outman Profile
- Phillies acquire starter Blanton from A's
- "A's Outman done for year". Associated Press. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-09.
- Rockies Press Release (January 16, 2012). "Rockies acquire RHP Guillermo Moscoso and LHP Josh Outman from Oakland in exchange for OF Seth Smith". ColoradoRockies.com.
- "Indians acquire LHP Josh Outman". ESPN.com. Associated Press. December 18, 2013. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- "Cot's Baseball Contracts - Cleveland Indians". Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- "Indians activate McAllister, designate Outman". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 18, 2014. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- "Yankees acquire LHP Outman from Indians". Associated Press. ESPN.com. August 28, 2014. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- Eddy, Matt (October 6, 2014). "Minor League Transactions: Sept. 26-Oct. 2". Baseball America. Retrieved January 8, 2015.
- "Braves add Outman, finalize deals with Pierzynski, Grilli". ESPN.com. Associated Press. January 7, 2015. Retrieved January 8, 2015.
- Wilmoth, Charlie (January 7, 2017). "Minor MLB Transactions: 1/7/17". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved January 7, 2017.
- "Six Year Major League Veteran Outman Returns to New Britain". New Britain Bees. June 1, 2018.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Josh Outman". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved 28 June 2012.