Josh Hill (born November 24, 1986) is a Canadian mixed martial artist who competes in the Bantamweight of Bellator MMA. Prior to signing with Bellator, Hill competed for such promotions as the World Series of Fighting (WSOF), Real Xtreme Fighting (RXF), and TKO Major League MMA. Hill also appeared on Season 18 of The Ultimate Fighter.
November 24, 1986
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Weight||137 lb (62 kg; 9 st 11 lb)|
|Reach||66+1⁄2 in (169 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Stoney Creek, Ontario|
|Team||Aegis MMA |
House of Champions
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Mixed martial arts career edit
Regional MMA edit
Josh Hill took his first fight on two weeks notice and won by second-round TKO.
His fifth pro fight was for the Aggression MMA Bantamweight title. He won the championship with a unanimous decision victory over then undefeated Diego Wilson (5-0).
The Ultimate Fighter edit
The first episode of the show featured an elimination bout to get into the fighter house. Hill earned his place in the house by winning a majority decision over Patrick Holohan. He lost his quarterfinal bout by unanimous decision to Mike Wooten and was eliminated from the tournament.
World Series of Fighting edit
In his next fight for the promotion, Hill faced Marlon Moraes for the WSOF Bantamweight Championship on February 12, 2015 in the main event at WSOF 18: Moraes vs Hill. He lost the fight via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 49-46).
After two fights outside of WSOF Hill returned at WSOF 26 to defeat Bekbulat Magomedov via split decision.
Hill earned a second shot against Marlon Moraes for the WSOF Bantamweight Championship on July 30, 2016 in the main event at WSOF 32: Moraes vs. Hill 2. He lost the fight via TKO in the second round.
Bellator MMA edit
Hill faced Jared Scoggins on December 3, 2021 at Bellator 272. At the weigh-ins, Jared Scoggins missed weight for his bout, weighing in at 140 pounds, 4 pounds over the bantamweight non-title fight limit. The bout proceeded at catchweight and Scoggins was fined 35% of his purse which went to Hill. Hill would go on to win the fight via KO at 0:56 of round 2.
Hill was scheduled to face Enrique Barzola on April 22, 2022 at Bellator 278. Due to the pull out of two fighters from the Bellator Bantamweight World Grand Prix due to injuries, the bout was changed to a wild card qualifier for one of the spots in the tournament. Due to Covid, Hill had to pull out of the bout.
Hill was scheduled to face Matheus Mattos at Bellator 284 on August 12, 2022. However, Mattos pulled out due to a knee injury requiring knee surgery and was replaced by Marcos Breno. Hill lost the bout via unanimous decision.
Hill faced Cass Bell on March 10, 2023 at Bellator 292. At the weigh-ins, Cass Bell weighed in at 145.2 pounds, 9.2 pounds over the non-title bantamweight fight limit. The bout proceeded at catchweight with Bell being fined 50% of his purse, which went to Hill. Hill won the fight via split decision.
Personal life edit
Josh was a volunteer firefighter before opening his gym and becoming a fulltime fighter.
Hill does color commentary for BTC Fight Promotions.
Championships and accomplishments edit
Mixed martial arts edit
- Aggression MMA
- Aggression MMA Bantamweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts record edit
|28 matches||22 wins||6 losses|
|Loss||22–6||Kasum Kasumov||Decision (split)||Bellator 298||August 11, 2023||3||5:00||Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States|
|Win||22–5||Cass Bell||Decision (split)||Bellator 292||March 10, 2023||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States||Catchweight (146 lb) bout; Bell missed weight.|
|Loss||21–5||Marcos Breno||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 284||August 12, 2022||3||5:00||Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States|
|Win||21–4||Jared Scoggins||KO (punch)||Bellator 272||December 3, 2021||2||0:56||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States||Catchweight (140 lb) bout; Scoggins missed weight.|
|Loss||20–4||Raufeon Stots||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 258||May 7, 2021||3||5:00||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States|
|Win||20–3||Érik Pérez||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 244||August 21, 2020||3||5:00||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States|
|Win||19–3||Vinicius Zani||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 239||February 21, 2020||3||5:00||Thackerville, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||18–3||Gilberto Aguilar||Submission (rear naked choke)||Fight Night 11: Lethbridge||September 28, 2019||1||2:38||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||17–3||Jesse Arnett||KO (punches)||TKO 48||May 24, 2019||2||2:11||Gatineau, Quebec, Canada|
|Loss||16–3||Taylor Lapilus||Decision (split)||TKO 45||December 7, 2018||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||16–2||Grachik Engibaryan||Submission (rear naked choke)||Fight Nights Global 72||August 24, 2017||1||4:12||Sochi, Russia|
|Win||15–2||Xavier Alaoui||Decision (split)||TKO 36||November 4, 2016||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Loss||14–2||Marlon Moraes||KO (head kick and punch)||WSOF 32: Moraes vs. Hill 2||July 30, 2016||2||0:38||Everett, Washington, United States||For the WSOF Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||14–1||Bendy Casimir||Decision (unanimous)||Fight Night 1||April 9, 2016||3||5:00||Rama, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||13–1||Bekbulat Magomedov||Decision (split)||WSOF 26||December 18, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–1||Ioan Vrânceanu||Decision (unanimous)||RXF 19||August 31, 2015||3||5:00||Galați, Romania||Featherweight bout.|
|Win||11–1||Josh Rettinghouse||Submission (rear naked choke)||GWFC 2||May 30, 2015||3||2:01||Burlington, Ontario, Canada|
|Loss||10–1||Marlon Moraes||Decision (unanimous)||WSOF 18: Moraes vs. Hill||February 12, 2015||5||5:00||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada||For the WSOF Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||10–0||Mike Adams||KO (punch)||WSOF Canada 2||June 7, 2014||1||4:20||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||9–0||John Fraser||Decision (unanimous)||Score Fighting Series 5: Fraser vs. Hill||August 25, 2012||3||5:00||Hamilton, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||8–0||Eric Wilson||Decision (unanimous)||Score Fighting Series 4||March 16, 2012||3||5:00||Hamilton, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||7–0||Federico Lopez||Decision (unanimous)||Global Warriors FC 1: Uprising||August 13, 2011||3||5:00||Hamilton, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||6–0||Darin Cooley||Decision (unanimous)||Score Fighting Series 1||June 10, 2011||3||5:00||Mississauga, Ontario, Canada||Catchweight (140 lb) bout.|
|Win||5–0||Diego Wilson||Decision (unanimous)||AMMA 6: Punishment||March 11, 2011||3||5:00||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada||Won Aggression MMA Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||4–0||Brent Franczuz||Submission (rear naked choke)||W-1 MMA 5: Judgment Day||June 19, 2010||3||4:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||3–0||Dennis Gagne||TKO (punches)||W-1 MMA 4: Bad Blood||March 20, 2010||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||2–0||Randy Turner||Decision (unanimous)||Wreck MMA: Fight for the Troops||December 12, 2009||3||5:00||Gatineau, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||1–0||Vito Attanasi||TKO (punches)||W-1 MMA 3: High Voltage||October 10, 2009||2||1:42||Gatineau, Quebec, Canada|
See also edit
- Ryan Dorfman. "Gustavo Lopez: Combate's Champion". mymmanews.com.
- "Gustavo Lopez | UFC". UFC.com. Retrieved March 21, 2021.
- King, Nolan (November 6, 2019). "Bellator MMA signs three fighters, including former WSOF title challenger Josh Hill". MMA Junkie.
- "'Ultimate Fighter' Season 18 cast revealed, including LaRosa, Baszler, Modafferi". MMA Junkie. 15 August 2013.
- Bagnoli, Melissa. "Interview with Josh Hill, Ultimate Fighter - CHCH". www.chch.com. Retrieved 2021-03-20.
- "Coaches - Josh Hill". Vision Quest MMA.
- "Fight Path: From hockey to grappling to MMA for Score Fighting Series 4's Josh Hill". MMA Junkie. 15 March 2012.
- Grienke, Keith (23 May 2011). "Josh Hill Talks Aggression Title And Score Fighting Series". Top MMA News.
- Billington, Roy (July 16, 2014). "Dubliner Holohan's UFC debut one of redemption". Sportsnet.
- Johnston, Mike (October 16, 2013). "Hill edged by Wootten in competitive TUF 18 tilt". SportsNet.
- Juon, Steve (Feb 7, 2015). "WSOF 18: Undefeated TUF 18 alum Josh Hill talks Bantamweight title shot, Miesha Tate and more". MMA Mania.
- "Marlon Moraes defeats Josh Hill". MMA Decisions.
- Segura, Danny (2015-12-18). "WSOF 26 Results: Palmer vs. Almeida". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2021-03-20.
- "WSOF 32 Results: Moraes Stops Hill, Palmer Recaptures Featherweight Belt". Combat Press. Retrieved 2021-03-20.
- Radley, Scott (November 22, 2019). "Binbrook's Josh Hill is fighting his way back to the spotlight". The Hamilton Spectator.
- Lynch, James (August 18, 2020). "Bellator 244's Josh Hill on Erik Perez: "If I Land On Him, I'm Going To Put Him To Sleep"". Cageside Press.
- Tavana, Ben (August 22, 2020). "Bellator 244 Results: Josh Hill Defeats Erik Perez Via Unanimous Decision".
- King, Nolan; Hannoun, Farrah (4 March 2021). "Raufeon Stots vs. Josh Hill in the works for Bellator 258". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 4 March 2021.
- Sherdog.com. "Bellator 258 'Archuleta vs. Pettis' Play-by-Play, Results & Round Scoring". Sherdog. Retrieved 2021-05-08.
- "Kyoji Horiguchi faces Sergio Pettis at Bellator 272". Asian MMA. 2021-10-20. Retrieved 2021-10-20.
- "Bellator 272 weigh-in results". MMA Junkie. 2021-12-02. Retrieved 2021-12-02.
- Anderson, Jay (2021-12-03). "Bellator 272: Josh Hill Puts Oversized Jared Scoggins to Sleep". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2021-12-04.
- "Bellator 278 adds Enrique Barzola vs. Josh Hill to lineup for Hawaii". MMA Junkie. 2022-03-20. Retrieved 2022-03-20.
- "Bellator adds two wild card bouts, four fighters to bantamweight grand prix". MMA Junkie. 2022-03-22. Retrieved 2022-03-24.
- "Bellator bantamweight grand prix takes another hit with Josh Hill withdrawal". MMA Junkie. 2022-04-05. Retrieved 2022-04-06.
- Anderson, Jay (2022-07-12). "Six Fights Added to Bellator 284, Vanderford and Hill Return". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2022-07-13.
- Cruz, Guilherme (2022-07-28). "Josh Hill now meets Marcos Breno at Bellator 284 with Matheus Mattos injured". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2022-07-28.
- "Com atuação estratégica, Marcos Breno derrota Josh Hill no card preliminar do Bellator 284". SUPER LUTAS (in Brazilian Portuguese). 2022-08-12. Retrieved 2022-08-13.
- Lee, Alexander K. (2023-01-11). "Bellator 8-man Lightweight World Grand Prix lineup announced, will start March 10". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2023-01-11.
- Sherdog.com. "Bellator 292 Weigh-in Results: Title Fight Set; Bell 9 Pounds Heavier Than Hill". Sherdog. Retrieved 2023-03-10.
- Sherdog.com. "Bellator 292 'Nurmagomedov vs. Henderson' Play-by-Play, Results & Round Scoring". Sherdog. Retrieved 2023-03-11.
- Lynch, James. "TKO 48's Josh Hill Talks Jesse Arnett Matchup, Training at Team Alpha Male & Working For BTC Fights". MMA Odds Breaker.
- "Tapology - Josh Hill". Tapology.
- "Sherdog - Josh Hill". Sherdog.