Josep Rull i Andreu (born 2 September 1968) is a Spanish politician from Catalonia. Had been the Counselor of Territory and Sustainability of Catalonia at the Government of Carles Puigdemont between 2016 and 2017, when Spanish Rajoy's Government ceased the Catalan executive following the Catalan declaration of independence amid the application of Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution.
|Counselor of Territory and Sustainability of Catalonia|
14 January 2016 – 27 October 2017
|Preceded by||Santi Vila|
|Succeeded by||Damià Calvet|
(Direct rule until 2 June 2018)
|Member of the Parliament of Catalonia|
for the Province of Barcelona
22 September 1997 – 10 July 2018 (suspended)
Josep Rull i Andreu
2 September 1968
Terrassa, Catalonia, Spain
|Political party||Democratic Convergence of Catalonia (1989–2016)|
Catalan European Democratic Party (since 2016)
|Alma mater||Autonomous University of Barcelona|
Graduate in Law from the Autonomous University of Barcelona, he is a member of the Illustrious Bar Association of Terrassa.
In 1986 he joined the "Nationalist Youth of Catalonia" (JNC) in Terrassa, and he was the general secretary of this organization between 1994 and 1998. In 1989 he joined the political party Democratic Convergence of Catalonia. Between 1993 and 1995 he worked as a collaborator of the legal services of the Catalan Association of Municipalities and later as the head of the Institutional Relations of the Board of Waste (1995–1997).
In local elections of 2003, he presented himself for the first time as the list head of CiU in Terrassa City Council, where he was the president of the Municipal Group of CiU in the Consorcio Egarenc. He also served as a member of the Informative Coordination Commissions with the Autonomous Organizations, General Services and Municipal Societies, in the Boards of Directors of the Municipal Institute of Culture and Sports (IMCET) and the Municipal Institute of Health and Social Welfare (IMSBS), of the General Meeting of Eco Equip, of the General Meeting of the Municipal Communication Society of Terrassa and of the General Meeting and member of the Board of Directors of EGARVIA.
Deputy at Catalan Parliament and Counselor of Territory and SustainabilityEdit
Deputy in the Parliament of Catalonia since 1997, during the VIII legislature he was the spokesman of the Parliamentary Group of Convergence and Union (CiU) and spokesman of this group to the Territorial Policy commission. In the IX legislature, in 2010, he was elected third secretary of the chamber, position for which he was again chosen in the 10th, in 2012.
On 14 January 2016, he became the Minister of Territory and Sustainability of the Government of Carles Puigdemont.  On the same day he announced that he left the General Coordination of Democratic Convergence of Catalonia and that he would not appear to be the new leader of the party.
On 27 October 2017 after the Parliament of Catalonia proclaimed the Catalan Republic, the Senate approved the measures proposed by the government under the protection of article 155 of the Spanish Constitution, including the dismissal of the President of the Generalitat of Catalonia and all of its Government of Catalonia, including Rull. Immediately after it was published in the Official State Gazette, followed by suspension of autonomy.
On November 2017 eight members of the Catalan Government, including Josep Rull, Oriol Junqueras, Jordi Turull, Meritxell Borràs, Carles Mundó, Raül Romeva, Dolors Bassa, Joaquim Forn and Santi Vila, who resigned few weeks ago, declared before the judge from the Audiencia Nacional Carmen Lamela for a rebellion crime . The prosecutor, requested unconditional jail for all members of the Catalan Government. On 4 December he and some other members of the Government were released on bail.
In the elections to the Parliament of Catalonia of 2017 he was elected deputy with the list of Together for Catalonia.
On 23 March 2018, the magistrate of the Spanish Supreme Court Pablo Llarena ordered his entry to prison, as well as for presidential candidate Jordi Turull, former Speaker of the Parliament Carme Forcadell and the regional counselors Raül Romeva and Dolors Bassa. Llarena argued unconditional provisional bail without bail for five after considering that there was a risk of leakage and reiteration of the crimes for which they were prosecuted.
On 4 July 2018, he was transferred to Lledoners Prison in Catalonia. Since then, several concentrations of support took place at the door of the prison. From 3 December until 20 December 2018, he went on a hunger strike. Same month, the International Association of Democratic Lawyers issued a statement requesting the release of 'Catalan political prisoners'.
On 1 February 2019, he was transferred back to the Madrilenian prison of Soto del Real, to face the trial that is expected to begin on 12 February 2019.
- Llarena cierra el sumario del ‘procés’ y suspende como diputados a Puigdemont y Junqueras Published by El País, 10 July 2018. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- Josep Rull, en Tintín es torna indepe (in Catalan)
- Josep Rull, nou conseller de Territori i Sostenibilitat (in Catalan)
- DECRET 3/2016, de 13 de gener, pel qual es nomenen el vicepresident del Govern, els consellers i conselleres dels departaments de la Generalitat de Catalunya i el secretari del Govern. (in Catalan)
- Josep Rull deja de ser coordinador general de CDC (in Spanish)
- Orden PRA/1034/2017, de 27 de octubre, por la que se publica el Acuerdo del Consejo de Ministros de 21 de octubre de 2017, por el que, en aplicación de lo dispuesto en el artículo 155 de la Constitución, se tiene por no atendido el requerimiento planteado al M. H. Sr. Presidente de la Generalitat de Cataluña, para que la Generalitat de Cataluña proceda al cumplimiento de sus obligaciones constitucionales y a la cesación de sus actuaciones gravemente contrarias al interés general, y se proponen al Senado para su aprobación las medidas necesarias para garantizar el cumplimiento de las obligaciones constitucionales y para la protección del mencionado interés general. (in Spanish)
- La Fiscalía pide prisión incondicional para Junqueras y siete exconsellers de Puigdemont y fianza a Santi Vila (in Spanish)
- La Audiencia cita el jueves y viernes a Puigdemont y sus exconsellers para declarar por rebelión (in Spanish)
- Spanish judge jails eight members of deposed Catalan government
- Junqueras y los exconsellers pasan su primera noche en prisión (in Spanish)
- Los seis ex ‘consellers’ del Govern salen de prisión tras pagar 100.000€ de fianza (in Spanish)
- Junts per Catalunya, la llista del PDECat que encapçalarà Puigdemont (in Catalan)
- Spanish court remands Catalan presidential candidate in custody
- El juez Llarena manda a prisión a Turull, Forcadell, Bassa, Rull y Romeva por riesgo de fuga (in Spanish)
- "Ple focus mediàtic a Lledoners la jornada en què arriben els presos al Bages". Regió7 (in Catalan). 4 July 2018. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- "IADL calls for release of Catalan political prisoners". International Association of Democratic Lawyers. 3 December 2018. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- Congostrina, Alfonso L. (1 February 2019). "Catalan independence leaders moved to Madrid jails ahead of trial". El País. ISSN 1134-6582. Retrieved 2 February 2019.