Josefina Echánove (born Josefina Rojas Hudson; 21 July 1928 – 29 December 2020) was a Mexican film, television and stage actress. She received two Ariel Award nominations for her acting roles.
Josefina Rojas Hudson
July 21, 1928
|Died||December 29, 2020 (aged 92)|
Mexico City, Mexico
Echánove was born in New York and raised in Guanajuato, Mexico. She studied journalism at Universidad Femenina de México in Mexico City and later changed her major to dance. She went on to found the Contemporary Dance Academy of the University of Guanajuato.
Her acting career began with roles in the Entremeses Cervantinos, which later became the International Cervantino Festival. She went on to appear in more than 40 films (both Mexican and American), and more than 40 television soap operas. She was twice nominated for Best Actress in a Picture at the Ariel Awards: in 1991 for Por tu maldito amor, by Rafael Villaseñor Kuri and in 1993 for Serpientes y Escaleras (Serpents and Stairs), by Busi Cortés.
One of her most notable stage performances was in 1985, when she appeared in the play La fiera del Ajusco by Mexican playwright Víctor Hugo Rascón Banda.
- El hombre de los hongos (1976)
- The Children of Sanchez (1978)
- Border Cop (1979)
- Missed (1982)
- The Honorary Consul (1983)
- Amityville 3-D (1983) as Dolores
- Old Gringo (1989)
- Cabeza de Vaca (1991)
- Perdita Durango (1997)
- The Other Conquest (1998)
- Santitos (1999)
- Todos hemos pecado (2008)
Selected television seriesEdit
She married lawyer Alonso Echánove, and together they had two daughters and one son. Their oldest son, Alonso Echánove, is an actor. Their daughters are journalist Peggy Echánove and pop singer Marisol de las Mercedes Echánove, professionally known as María del Sol.
- DBlanc, Mino. "Falleció la primera actriz Josefina Echánove". www.sabersinfin.com. Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- Murió a los 93 años la actriz Josefina Echánove, madre de María del Sol (in Spanish)
- "Fallece la primera actriz Josefina Echánove". San Diego Union-Tribune en Español (in Spanish). 2020-12-29. Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- Cultura, Secretaría de. "La Secretaría de Cultura y el INBAL lamentan el deceso de Josefina Echánove". gob.mx (in Spanish). Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- "Fallece la primera actriz Josefina Echánove". El Universal (in Spanish). 2020-12-29. Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- "Josefina Echánove | Movies and Filmography". AllMovie. Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- "Fallece la actriz y periodista mexicana Josefina Echánove". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). 2020-12-29. Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- Demos, Editorial; Rodríguez, Ana Mónica. "La Jornada - Muere la actriz Josefina Echánove a los 92 años". www.jornada.com.mx (in Spanish). Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- "Murió Josefina Echánove, primera actriz en Rubí y Corazón Salvaje". amp.milenio.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 2020-12-30.