José Luis Martínez-Almeida
José Luis Martínez-Almeida Navasqüés (born 17 April 1975) is a Spanish state lawyer and policitian. A member of the People's Party (PP), he serves as Mayor of Madrid since 2019. He has been a member of the Madrid City Council since 2015.
José Luis Martínez-Almeida
Martínez-Almeida in July 2019
|Mayor of Madrid|
|Assumed office |
15 June 2019
|Preceded by||Manuela Carmena|
José Luis Martínez-Almeida Navasqüés
17 April 1975
|Political party||People's Party|
|Alma mater||Comillas Pontifical University|
Martínez-Almeida was born in Madrid on 17 April 1975. His grandfather Pablo Martínez-Almeida y Nacarino was a member of the Privy Council of the Count of Barcelona. He studied at the Retamar School in Pozuelo de Alarcón, linked to the Opus Dei.
Martínez-Almeida affiliated to the People's Party (PP) when he was 20 years old, and he earned a Licentiate degree in law at the ICADE (Comillas Pontifical University) in 1998. In 2001, he joined the State Lawyers Corps.
He served Director-General for Historic Heritage of the Community of Madrid from 2007 to 2011. In 2011, Esperanza Aguirre, the region's premier, appointed him as Secretary of the Council of Government of the Community of Madrid.
He left the regional government in 2013 in order to become a member of the General Secretariat and Council of state-owned-enterprise SEPIDES (currently SEPI) as Secretary of the Law Division. He left this post in 2015.
Aguirre included Martínez-Almeida 3rd in the PP list for the 2015 Madrid municipal election and the later became municipal councillor. In 2017, as Aguirre resigned from her last offices following the detention of her political "dauphin" Ignacio González, Martínez-Almeida replaced her as Spokesperson of the PP's Municipal Group in the City Council.
Mayor of MadridEdit
He ran first in the PP list for the 2019 Madrid municipal election. Martínez-Almeida renovated his seat as municipal councillor and was invested as Mayor on 15 June 2019, commanding the support of Citizens and far-right Vox.
During the campaign, the PP pledged to get rid of one of the star measures against pollution of vehicles implemented by the previous municipal administration, the low emission zone Madrid Central. As promised, on July 1, the City Council led by Martínez-Almeida suspended the measure for three months, and environmental groups such as Greenpeace cut roads in protest. However, a week later a court in Madrid suspended the City Council's ban and restored the fines system.
- Piñón, Manu (27 May 2019). La conexión con la realeza de Martínez-Almeida, el próximo alcalde de Madrid. Vanity Fair.
- Lantigua, Isabel F. (15 June 2019). José Luis Martínez-Almeida, el alcalde optimista. El Mundo.
- "José Luis Martínez-Almeida, el valor del escalafón". Telemadrid. 7 May 2019.
- José Luis Martínez-Almeida, candidato del PP al Ayuntamiento de Madrid. Madridiario. 21 May 2019.
- "José Luis Martínez-Almeida, un abogado del Estado de verbo ágil para sustituir a Esperanza Aguirre". ELMUNDO (in Spanish). 2017-04-28. Retrieved 2019-06-15.
- Press, Europa (2018-07-26). "Casado incorpora a Martínez Almeida, Díaz Ayuso, Vera y González Terol en el nuevo Comité Ejecutivo del PP". www.europapress.es. Retrieved 2019-06-15.
- "Isabel Díaz Ayuso y Martínez-Almeida, candidatos del PP a la Comunidad y al Ayuntamiento de Madrid". abc (in Spanish). 2019-01-11. Retrieved 2019-06-15.
- Rodríguez-Pina, Gloria; Mateo, Juan José (2019-06-15). "El popular Martínez Almeida, alcalde de Madrid con los votos de Ciudadanos y la ultraderecha". El País (in Spanish). ISSN 1134-6582. Retrieved 2019-06-15.
- Agencias, El Periódico / (2019-03-26). "Más Madrid apuesta por ampliar Madrid Central y el PP y Vox por eliminarlo". elperiodico (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- Minder, Raphael (2019-07-01). "As Cities Limit Traffic Pollution, Madrid Reverses a Driving Ban". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- Objective, The. "Activistas de Greenpeace cortan el acceso al tráfico a Madrid Central". The Objective | Periodismo ethos (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- Medina, Miguel Ángel; León, Pablo; País, El (2019-07-08). "On judge's orders, Madrid Central low-emissions scheme back in action". El País. ISSN 1134-6582. Retrieved 2019-07-27.