This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
José Guirao Cabrera (born 1959 in Pulpí) is a Spanish cultural manager and art expert. On 14 June 2018 he was appointed by Pedro Sánchez for the office of Minister of Culture and Sport of Spain, after the resignation of Màxim Huerta.
|Minister of Culture and Sport|
|Assumed office |
14 June 2018
Acting: Since 29 April 2019
|Prime Minister||Pedro Sánchez|
|Preceded by||Màxim Huerta|
|Born||1959 (age 59–60)|
|Alma mater||University of Murcia|
Previously, he was director of the Reina Sofía Museum between 1994 and 2001 and director of the La Casa Encendida from 2002 and 2014. He was also Director-General of the Montemadrid Fundation until his appointment as minister, a private non-profit organization that works in favor of inclusion and equal opportunities, promotes a participatory citizenship with access to education, employment and culture and favors the conservation of the environment.
In 1993, Guirao was appointed to the position of Manager of Fine Arts and Archives at the Ministry of Culture. In 1994, he was appointed Director of the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía. During his tenure, the project of the expansion of the museum was awarded to architect Jean Nouvel.
From 2001 to 2014, Guirao was the director of the cultural centre La Casa Encendida in Madrid. In 2013, the centre became part of the Fundación Montemadrid, and he was appointed Chief Manager of this foundation.
- Redacción (14 June 2018). "José Guirao, nuevo Ministro de Cultura y de Deporte tras la dimisión de Màxim Huerta". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- "José Guirao, nuevo ministro de Cultura y Deportes tras la caída de Huerta". eldiario.es (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Quiénes somos". Fundación Montemadrid (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- Lorenci, Miguel (14 June 2018). "José Guirao, el ministro que se formó en Murcia". La Verdad (in Spanish). Madrid. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- Pajares, G. (13 June 2018). "José Guirao, un gestor todoterreno para sustituir a Huerta en el Ministerio de Cultura". La Razón (in Spanish). Madrid. Retrieved 14 June 2018.