Jorge López (baseball)
Jorge Yabiel López Ramos (born February 10, 1993) is a Puerto Rican professional baseball pitcher for the Kansas City Royals of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played for the Milwaukee Brewers. He made his MLB debut in 2015.
López with the Omaha Storm Chasers in 2018
|Kansas City Royals – No. 28|
|Born: February 10, 1993|
Cayey, Puerto Rico
|September 29, 2015, for the Milwaukee Brewers|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Earned run average||5.89|
|Representing Puerto Rico|
|World Baseball Classic|
|2017 Los Angeles||Team|
López was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the second round of the 2011 Major League Baseball draft out of the Caguas Military Academy in Caguas, Puerto Rico. He signed with the Brewers and made his professional debut with the Arizona League Brewers. He spent 2012 with the Dominican Summer League Brewers and Gulf Coast Brewers and 2013 with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. In 2014, López pitched for the Brevard County Manatees. In July he was selected to appear in the All-Star Futures Game. In 2015, he played for the Biloxi Shuckers of the Class AA Southern League. He had a 12–5 win–loss record, a 2.26 earned run average (ERA), and 137 strikeouts in 143 1⁄3 innings pitched for Biloxi. López was named the Brewers' minor league pitcher of the year and Southern League's most outstanding pitcher.
After Biloxi's 2015 season ended, the Brewers promoted López to the major leagues. He made his major league debut on September 29, 2015. In 2016, López began the season with the Colorado Springs Sky Sox of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League, but struggled, pitching to a 6.81 ERA in 17 games started. He was demoted to Biloxi. López pitched for the Puerto Rican national baseball team in the 2017 World Baseball Classic. In the 2017 season, López returned to Biloxi. He pitched to a 4.61 ERA as a starting pitcher, and then became a relief pitcher, and had a 3.62 ERA in that role. He made one appearance for the Brewers in 2017, pitching two innings and allowing one run on four hits on June 29.
During the 2017–18 offseason, López pitched for the Águilas Cibaeñas of the Dominican Professional Baseball League. López began the 2018 season with Colorado Springs. The Brewers again promoted him to the major leagues on April 11. He made one appearance, on April 16, before being returned to Colorado Springs on April 17.
Kansas City RoyalsEdit
On July 27, 2018, López, along with teammate Brett Phillips, was traded to the Kansas City Royals for Mike Moustakas. On September 8, in his seventh major league start, López flirted with a perfect game as he retired 24 consecutive Minnesota Twins batters in order over eight innings. In the ninth inning, López surrendered a leadoff walk to Max Kepler and a hit to Robbie Grossman before walking off the mound at Target Field to a standing ovation. He became the first pitcher in Royals history to bring a perfect game into the ninth inning, besting Bret Saberhagen's seven-inning attempt vs. the Seattle Mariners.
López and his wife, Karla, have a son, Mikael. Their son suffers from Familial Mediterranean fever since birth, and is waiting for an intestinal transplant. They had to leave their town of Cayey due to Hurricane Maria in 2017.
- "Crew snags Puerto Rico's top arm on Day 2". Milwaukee Brewers. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "Lopez to represent Crew in Futures Game". Milwaukee Brewers. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- Fox Sports. "Futures Game another step to majors for Brewers prospect Lopez". FOX Sports. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- McCalvy, Adam. "Jorge Lopez thankful to debut for Brewers". MLB.com. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Haudricourt, Tom (September 28, 2015). "Brewers prospect makes MLB debut with son on his mind". Archive.jsonline.com. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Haudricourt, Tom (September 30, 2015). "Jorge Lopez earns victory in first big-league start". Archive.jsonline.com. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- McCalvy, Adam (January 20, 2016). "Brewers prospect Jorge Lopez strong in winter". MLB.com. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- "Brewers pitching prospect Jorge Lopez faces a challenge in 2018". Jsonline.com. March 5, 2018. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- "Brewers call up Jorge Lopez, designate J.J. Hoover for assignment". Jsonline.com. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Haudricourt, Tom (July 27, 2018). "Brewers trade for Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas; Travis Shaw will move to second base". Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- "Jorge López: "Me sobrecogió la emoción"" (in Spanish). Primera Hora. September 9, 2018. Retrieved September 10, 2018.
- "Infant son awaits intestinal transplant". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "Futures Game rep Lopez keeps son on his mind". Milwaukee Brewers. Retrieved November 20, 2014.