Jonathan Krisel (//; born January 4, 1979) is an American director, producer, writer, editor, and occasional actor. He is best known for his work with the comedy duo Tim & Eric, having directed episodes of Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! and Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule. Krisel has also directed and co-wrote the majority of episodes of Portlandia, as well as several SNL Digital Shorts and the 2016 FX series Baskets.
Jonathan Krisel at the 71st Annual Peabody Awards
|Born||January 4, 1979|
|Occupation||Director, producer, writer actor,|
Jonathan Krisel first began working with the comedy duo Tim & Eric in 2006, on their animated series Tom Goes to the Mayor, where he worked as an animator, producer, and senior editor. Next, he worked as director, writer, co-executive producer, and senior editor on their sketch comedy series Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! from 2007 to 2010, directed episodes of Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule, and contributed to the script of their 2012 film Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie. He also worked on several Digital Shorts for the sketch comedy television series Saturday Night Live.
Since 2011, he has co-written and executive produced every episode and directed 52 episodes (including the first 44) of the satirical sketch comedy series Portlandia, starring Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen on the IFC network. He also co-created the show and has appeared in three episodes. He has also directed episodes of Kroll Show and Man Seeking Woman.
He is the co-creator of the comedy series Baskets, alongside comedians Louis C.K. and Zach Galifianakis, with the latter starring in the project. Krisel is also the executive producer and primary director. It premiered on FX January 21, 2016.
He is also the grandson of child actress Virginia Weidler.
|1996||Waiting for Mo||Assistant editor|
|2004–06||Tom Goes to the Mayor||17 episodes; animator, producer, senior editor|
|2007–10||Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!||52 episodes; director, writer, co-executive producer|
|2009||Rich Dicks||Short film; director, editor|
|2010||Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule||6 episodes; director, senior editor|
|2010||Ed Hardy Boyz: The Case of the Missing Sick Belt Buckle||Short film; director|
|2010||Funny or Die Presents||4 episodes; segment director|
|2010||The Red Roof Inn Chronicles||Short film; director|
|2010–11||Saturday Night Live||SNL Digital Shorts; director, writer,|
|2011–18||Portlandia||Director, writer, executive producer, actor|
|2012||Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie||Additional writing|
|2013–14||Kroll Show||Director, writer, executive producer|
|2015||Man Seeking Woman||5 episodes; director, executive producer|
|2016–present||Baskets||Creator, director, writer, executive producer|
|2017||Ghosted||Director, executive producer; episode: "Pilot"|
- Lacey Rose (30 April 2014). "Cable's Hot Comedy Director: 'Portlandia's' Jonathan Krisel Lands Second FX Project". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- Eric Ducker (8 January 2015). "The Secret Talents Who Make Portlandia and Workaholics So Hilarious". WIRED. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-11-14. Retrieved 2016-01-10. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Nick Kroll Talks 'Kroll Show' Season 2 with Seth Meyers". Splitsider. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- Whitney Friedlander. "FX Orders Clown Comedy Series Starring Zach Galifianakis". Variety. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- Kissel, Rick (November 12, 2015). "FX Sets Winter Premiere Dates for 'American Crime Story,' 'Baskets,' Other Series". Variety. Retrieved December 29, 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (September 30, 2018). "'Sesame Street' Movie Taps 'Portlandia' Co-Creator Jonathan Krisel as Director (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved September 30, 2018.