Jon Steinberg is the former President and COO of website BuzzFeed. In early 2016, he founded Cheddar Inc., a new media company covering tech news and culture, and serves as its CEO. In September 2016, Cheddar received $10 million in funding from Comcast and other investors.
Cheddar is a live and on demand video news network, and broadcasts weekdays from the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, NASDAQ Marketsite, and the Flatiron Building. By mid-2016, the company had added a CheddarLife program, and was broadcasting on Facebook Live, Roku and SiriusXM.[not verified in body]
In addition to co-hosting the original Cheddar program with business journalist Kristen Scholer, Steinberg sits on the board of Bustle.com and is an advisor to The Skimm and Taboola.[not verified in body]
Steinberg's mother, Renee, is a teacher at a New York private School and his father, Richard, is a doctor turned real estate broker. He attended the Collegiate School and was interested in computers from an early age. When he was 15 years old, he was accepted into the Walt Disney Imagineering summer intern program. He is a graduate of Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs and holds an MBA from Columbia University.
Prior to Buzzfeed, Jon was strategic partner development manager on Google’s small medium business partnerships team, executive in residence at Polaris Venture Partners, and founded iBuilding, a commercial real estate software company.
In 2012, Steinberg was named an Ad Age Media Maven.
Prior to founding Cheddar, Jon was Chief Executive Officer of DailyMail.com North America, and played a leading role in building the company's digital media assets in the US.
- Business Insider, "Former BuzzFeed president Jon Steinberg launches Cheddar, a CNBC for millennials, with $3 million in funding" Feb 19, 2016
- Variety, "Comcast Invests in Digital Finance-News Startup Cheddar, Which Banks $10 Million in Funding" Sept 6, 2016
- "Raising Buzzfeed’s Jon Steinberg". Business News Daily. Oct 23, 2013
- Startup Grind, "Jon Steinberg of Buzzfeed talks about the Buzz" Jun 24, 2013
- "on Steinberg". We Are NY Tech. September 12, 2013
- Business Insider, "Ex-Googler Jon Steinberg Joins NYC Startup BuzzFeed" May 20, 2010
- New Tech City, "Buzzfeed COO Jon Steinberg on Social Marketing" March 19, 2013
- "Special Report Media Mavens 2012". Ad Age. Jan 31, 2011
- Forbes, "Shake On It: New App Puts Legally Binding Documents At Your Fingertips" Sept 12, 2013
- "Lessons For Incubating A Company". Business Insider. September 12, 2013.
- Business Insider, "MailOnline hires ex-BuzzFeed boss as new North America Chief Executive Officer" Jun 15, 2014