John A "Johnny" Lechner is an American film and television actor best known for his role as Alan Reese on the television series Girls of Sunset Place (Showtime - 2012), as well as his role as Greg "Fossil" Karanowski in the movie Fraternity House (2008). Lechner was born in Fort Hood, Texas, but grew up in Pewaukee, Wisconsin. He is also known as being a perpetual student at the University of Wisconsin–Whitewater, having studied there since 1994.
Lechner's academic claim to fame (or infamy) is that he has been attending college since graduating from Waukesha North High School in 1994. Lechner did not graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in 2006, 2007, 2008, or 2009, despite having enough credits to graduate with nine majors and five minors.
As of October 10, 2011, Lechner is not listed in the UW-Whitewater student directory and it is unclear whether his student status continues. His directory entry was last verified on April 16, 2010.
At Whitewater he has won a campus "Big Man on Campus" beauty pageant, studied abroad in, "Paris, London, Amsterdam, Rome, Florence, Venice and Switzerland," and South Africa, appeared on Late Show with David Letterman and Good Morning America, been named one of People's "Hot Bachelors", run for student body president, and appeared in two films, including Minor League: A Football Story and a starring role in Fraternity House.
The "Johnny Lechner rule"Edit
Lechner has been dubbed the "real-life Van Wilder." The Wisconsin Board of Regents instituted a "Johnny Lechner rule" on long-term students, so Lechner pays double the standard in-state tuition.
- "Lechner, John A" University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. Retrieved 16 April 2010.
- Maternowski, Kate. "Lechner aims to graduate, finally" The Badger Herald, 20 April 2006.
- Smith, Susan Lampert. "AN OLD STORY GETS A LITTLE OLDER" Wisconsin State Journal, 20 May 2007.
- "Longtime UW-W student plans one more year Archived 2007-05-23 at the Wayback Machine" The Janesville Gazette, 16 May 2007.
- "Durhams, Sharif. A cap and gown for UW-Whitewater's perpetual student?" Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 18 May 2009.
- "Johnny Lechner - College Student since 1994". Archived from the original on 15 March 2010. Retrieved 16 April 2010.
- "Lechner, John A" University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- Erickson, Doug. "The Real World Can Wait" Wisconsin State Journal, 7 April 2005.
- "Career Student Up for 13th Year" The Associated Press, 11 May 2006.
- Welch, Chris. "HE'S MAKING MOVIES, BUT DON'T COUNT ON A 'GRADUATE' REMAKE" Wisconsin State Journal, 9 August 2009.
- Dillon, Sam. "For One Student, a College Career Becomes a Career." The New York Times, 10 November 2005.
- "They Really, Really Need a Woman" People, 26 June 2006.
- Minor League: A Football Story on IMDb
- Fraternity House on IMDb