Johnnie Lee LeMaster (born June 19, 1954) is a former Major League Baseball infielder. He played for four teams over a 12 year (1975–1985 and 1987) MLB career, including 10 seasons with the San Francisco Giants. He batted and threw right-handed.
LeMaster in 1983
|Born: June 19, 1954|
|September 2, 1975, for the San Francisco Giants|
|Last MLB appearance|
|July 28, 1987, for the Oakland Athletics|
|Runs batted in||229|
|Career highlights and awards|
On September 2, 1975, LeMaster became the second player in major league history to hit an inside-the-park home run in his first at bat, during a 7–3 win over the Dodgers. LeMaster hit only 21 home runs during the rest of his career (3,191 at bats).
LeMaster is remembered for a game in July 1979, when he took the field wearing the phrase on his back that Giants fans often welcomed him with; in place of his last name was the word "BOO".
In 1983, LeMaster amassed over 100 hits for the only time in his career, batting .240 and finishing seventh in the National League with 39 stolen bases while finishing third in the National League with 19 times caught stealing.
During the 1985 season, he played for three teams: the San Francisco Giants, the Cleveland Indians, and the Pittsburgh Pirates; all three teams ended up in last place in their respective divisions.
LeMaster was a career .222 hitter with 22 home runs and 229 runs batted in in 1039 games.
LeMaster resides in Paintsville, Kentucky. He is a devout Christian. After his professional baseball career, Johnnie ran Johnnie LeMaster's Sports Center, an athletic store in Paintsville. The store has since been bought and replaced by Hibbett Sports. LeMaster is a distant cousin of Frank LeMaster, who played football for the University of Kentucky and the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Hayes, A.J., "Sports: Boo-yah! Johnnie LeMaster returns", http://www.sfbg.com/blogs/gsf/2008/05/sports_booyah_welcome_back_joh.html
- Bruce Nash, The Baseball Hall of Shame 3
- Snyder, Aaron (February 4, 2019). "LeMaster steps away from Ashland baseball". The Daily Independent. Retrieved February 4, 2019.
- Juett, James (May 9, 2016). "LeMaster brings major league experience to Ashland". The Herald-Dispatch. Retrieved February 4, 2019.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference
- Photo of Lemaster wearing the 'Boo' jersey
- UniWatchBlog.com article about LeMaster 2008.01.31