John W. Hendrix
John Walker Hendrix
General John W. Hendrix
|Born||September 22, 1942|
Bulloch County, Georgia
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/||United States Army|
|Years of service||1965-2001|
|Commands held||Forces Command|
3rd Infantry Division
|Awards||Defense Distinguished Service Medal|
Army Distinguished Service Medal (2)
Silver Star (2)
Legion of Merit (4)
Hendrix was born on September 22, 1942, in Bulloch County, Georgia, and received his commission after graduating from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1965 with a degree in electrical engineering. He earned a master's degree in history in 1978 from Middle Tennessee State University, and is a graduate of both the U.S. Army War College and the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College.
His other commands include V Corps in this position he served as commanding general of Task Force Hawk; 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Georgia; and the United States Army Infantry Center, Fort Benning, Georgia.
He also served as deputy chief of staff for operations, United States Army Europe and 7th Army; assistant division commander, 1st Armored Division during the Persian Gulf War; executive officer to the Supreme Allied Commander, Europe, Supreme Headquarters, Allied Powers Europe, Belgium; and assistant commandant, U.S. Army Infantry School, Fort Benning.
He completed several NATO assignments during the Cold War, including commander of 2nd Battalion-13th Infantry Regiment, 8th Infantry Division, and served two tours of duty as a rifle company commander in the Republic of Vietnam. He retired from the Army in 2001.
Awards and DecorationsEdit
His awards include the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, Army Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters, the Silver Star with oak leaf cluster; and the Bronze Star with "V" device and three oak leaf clusters. He also holds the Combat Infantryman Badge, Master Parachutist Badge, Ranger tab, and Army Aviator Badge.
In retirement, Hendrix sits on the board of advisors of the National Infantry Foundation and worked for United Defense Industries. He was National Chairman of the Military Officers Association of America.
- General Officer Announcement 303-97, June 10, 1997
- "Hendrix Nominated to be FORSCOM Commander". Tech Topics. Georgia Tech Alumni Association. Winter 1999. Archived from the original on 2011-10-05. Retrieved 2011-07-13.
- ROTC celebrates 50 years at MTSU Archived 2006-09-14 at the Wayback Machine
- Air Force Magazine articl on Task Force Hawk http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/2002/February%202002/0202hawk.aspx
- National Infantry Foundation Board of advisors Archived 2007-08-07 at the Wayback Machine
- SEC Info United Defense Industries
- MOAA Florida newsletter Archived 2007-08-09 at the Wayback Machine