John Rowe (Aetna)
John Wallis (Jack) Rowe is an American businessman and academic physician, who served as Chairman and CEO of Aetna Inc., a large health insurance company based in Connecticut, titles he retired from in February 2006.
John Rowe is currently the Julius B Richmond Professor at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health in the Department of Health Policy and Management. He has also served as professor at Harvard Medical School, and has authored more than 200 scientific publications, mostly on the aging process. Rowe was previously Chairman of the Board of Trustees at the University of Connecticut.
Prior to Columbia, John Rowe  was the CEO and executive chairman of the health insurance company Aetna from 2000 to 2006. During his tenure he transformed Aetna into a large, profitable company. In 2005 his compensation was $22.2 million.
Mt Sinai NY HealthEdit
Prior to Aetna Dr. Rowe was President and Chief Executive Officer of Mount Sinai NY Health from 1998 to 2000. Prior to that he was President of The Mount Sinai Hospital and the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City from 1988 to 1998.
In 2006, the Wealth Transfer Group sued John W. Rowe for infringement of a tax patent. The patent was U.S. Patent 6,567,790, entitled "Establishing and managing grantor retained annuity trusts funded by nonqualified stock options". (i.e. SOGRAT) This case has been settled for undisclosed terms.
Dr. Rowe has published over 200 scientific publications, mostly in the field of gerontology and a textbook in the same field.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rowe lives in New York City and Cape Cod, Massachusetts with his wife, who is a retired professor at Fordham University.
He is a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences, a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, a member of the Board of Trustees of the Rockefeller Foundation since 2007, a member of the Board of Trustees of the Lincoln Center Theater, a member of the board at Accolade Inc and Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), and former Chairman of the Board of the Marine Biological Laboratory.
- Faculty Bio
- Corporate Governance: Board of Directors Bio for John W. Rowe Archived 2007-06-08 at the Wayback Machine.
- Forbes list of top executive compensation
- Floyd Norris, Patent law is getting tax crazy, International Herald Tribune, October 19, 2006.
- Nowotarski, Mark, "Tax Strategies?", Insurance IP Bulletin, October 15, 2006
- Herman, Tom, "Patents on Tax-Related Ideas Stir Worry", Wall Street Journal, March 14, 2007
- "John Wallis Rowe M.D." Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "John W. Rowe to Join Rockefeller Foundation Board of Trustees". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2017-05-05.