John Michael Greer
John Michael Greer
|Born||1962 (age 57–58)|
Bremerton, Washington, U.S.
|Occupation||author, blogger, occultist|
Greer was born in Bremerton, Washington and was raised in the Seattle area. He has lived in Washington, Oregon and Cumberland, Maryland. He is an initiate in Freemasonry and the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. He currently lives in Rhode Island with his wife Sara.
He created the training program for the Druidical Order of the Golden Dawn, which he founded in 2013. He served as Grand Archdruid of the Ancient Order of Druids in America (AODA) from 2003 - 2015. He published the Druidry Handbook, which served as the AODA’s core textbook and curriculum. He came to Druidry by way of the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids in 1995 after some twenty years’ involvement in Hermetic occult spirituality. He received the Mount Haemus Award in 2003 from OBOD for his lecture "Phallic Religion in the Druid Revival".
Politics, blogging, and nonfictionEdit
He previously blogged at The Archdruid Report on peak oil, economics, history and related topics during 2006-2017, as well as The Well of Galabes on occultism from 2014-2017. He is currently blogging at Ecosophia, where he has written about the intersection of magic and politics. He believes that gradual societal collapse will ensue as fossil fuel powered industries and societies decline through resource depletion. In a 2009 blog post entitled "Hagbard's Law", he contrasted the attention global warming receives compared to peak oil.
Writing in The Futurist magazine, Rick Docksai declared that Greer's book The Ecotechnic Future is "as realistic a portrayal of the end of civilization as one is likely to find." It was also positively reviewed in Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries and was recommended in the industry journal Energy Policy. The International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability referred to his book The Wealth of Nature as "challeng[ing] the paradigms that underlie the complex system of wealth distribution we know as economics."
Spirituality and the occultEdit
- Inside a Magical Lodge: Group Ritual in the Western Tradition (Llewellyn, 1998)
- Monsters: An Investigator's Guide to Magical Beings (Llewellyn, 2001)
- The New Encyclopedia of the Occult (Llewellyn, 2003)
- Learning Ritual Magic: Fundamental Theory and Practice for the Solitary Apprentice, co-authored with Clare Vaughn and Earl King, Jr (Weiser, 2004)
- A World Full of Gods: An Inquiry into Polytheism (ADF Publishing, 2005)
- Encyclopedia of Natural Magic (Llewellyn, 2005)
- The Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth (Weiser Books, January 2006)
- Gérard Thibault d'Anvers. Academy of the Sword, trans. John Michael Greer (Highland Park, TX: The Chivalry Bookshelf, 2006)
- Atlantis: Ancient Legacy, Hidden Prophecy (Llewellyn, 2007)
- Pagan Prayer Beads: Magic and Meditation with Pagan Rosaries, co-authored with Clare Vaughn (Weiser, 2007)
- The Druid Magic Handbook: Ritual Magic Rooted in the Living Earth (Weiser, 2007)
- The Art and Practice of Geomancy: Divination, Magic, and Earth Wisdom of the Renaissance (Weiser, 2009)
- Element Encyclopedia of Secret Societies: The Ultimate A–Z of Ancient Mysteries, Lost Civilizations and Forgotten Wisdom (HarperCollins, 2009)
- The Druid Revival Reader, ed. John Michael Greer (Starseed, 2011)
- The Druid Grove Handbook: A Guide to Ritual in the Ancient Order of Druids in America, ed. John Michael Greer (Starseed, 2011)
- The Blood of the Earth: An Essay on Magic and Peak Oil (Scarlet Imprint, 2012)
- Mystery Teachings From the Living Earth (Weiser, 2012)
- The Gnostic Celtic Church: A Manual and Book of Liturgy, ed. John Michael Greer (Starseed, 2013)
- The Celtic Golden Dawn: An Original & Complete Curriculum of Druidical Study (Llewellyn, February 2013)
- Circles of Power: An Introduction to Hermetic Magic, third edition (Aeon Books, 2017)
- Paths of Wisdom: Cabala in the Golden Dawn Tradition, third edition (Aeon Books, 2017)
- The Coelbren Alphabet: The Forgotten Oracle of the Welsh Bards (Llewellyn, 2017)
- The Occult Book: A Chronological Journey from Alchemy to Wicca (Sterling Chronologies, 2017)
- A Magical Education: Talks on Magic and Occultism (Aeon Books, 2019)
Economics and political changeEdit
- The Long Descent: A User's Guide to the End of the Industrial Age (New Society Publishers, September 2008)
- The Ecotechnic Future: Envisioning a Post-Peak World (New Society Publishers, October 2009)
- The Wealth of Nature: Economics As If Survival Mattered (New Society Publishers, May 2011) ISBN 978-0-86571-673-5
- Green Wizardry (New Society, 2013)
- Not the Future we Ordered: Peak Oil, Psychology and the Myth of Progress (Karnac, 2013)
- Decline and Fall: the End of Empire and the Future of Democracy in the 21st Century (New Society, 2014)
- Collapse Now and Avoid the Rush: the Best of the Archdruid Report (Founders House, 2015)
- After Progress: Reason and Religion at the End of the Industrial Age Paperback (New Society Publishers, April 2015)
- Dark Age America: Climate Change, Cultural Collapse, and the Hard Future Ahead (New Society Publishers, September 2016)
- The Retro Future: Looking to the Past to Remake the Future (New Society, 2017)
- Twilight's Last Gleaming (Karnac, 2014) ISBN 978-1-78220-035-2
- Star's Reach: A Novel of the Deindustrial Future (Founders House, April 2014)
- The Fires of Shalsha (Starseed Press, 2008) (Founders House, 2015)
- Retrotopia (Founders House, 2016) ISBN 978-1-945810-02-2
- An Archdruid's Tales: Fiction From The Archdruid Report (Founders House Publishing, 2017) ISBN 978-1-945810-06-0
- The Weird of Hali (Book 1): Innsmouth (Founders House Publishing, 2018) ISBN 978-1-945810-24-4
- The Weird of Hali (Book 2): Kingsport (Founders House Publishing, 2018) ISBN 978-1-945810-25-1
- The Weird of Hali (Book 3): Chorazin (Founders House Publishing, 2019) ISBN 978-1-945810-29-9
- The Weird of Hali (Book 4): Dreamlands (Founders House Publishing, 2019) ISBN 978-1-945810-30-5
- The Weird of Hali (Book 5): Providence (Founders House Publishing, 2019) ISBN 978-1-945810-31-2
- The Weird of Hali (Book 6): Red Hook (Founders House Publishing, 2019) ISBN 978-1-945810-35-0
- The Weird of Hali (Book 7): Arkham (Founders House Publishing, 2019) ISBN 978-1-945810-39-8
- The Shoggoth Concerto (Founders House Publishing, 2019) ISBN 978-1-945810-32-9
- The Nyogtha Variations (Founders House Publishing, 2020) ISBN 978-1-945810-41-1
- After Oil: SF Visions of a Post-Petroleum World (Founders House, 2012
- After Oil 2: The Years of Crisis (Founders House, 2014)
- After Oil 3: The Years of Rebirth (Founders House, 2015)
- After Oil 4: The Future's Distant Shores (Founders House, 2016)
- Merigan Tales: Stories for the World of Star's Reach (Founders House,2016)
- "John Michael Greer". aeonbooks.co.uk. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- "Druidical Order of the Golden Dawn". www.druidical-gd.org. Retrieved 2020-03-30.
- "History & Heritage of the AODA". www.aoda.org. Retrieved 2020-03-30.
- "3rd Mount Haemus Lecture". www.druidry.org. Retrieved 2020-03-30.
- "A Few Notes on Burkean Conservatism". archdruidmirror.blogspot.com. 2017. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- "Founders House Exclusive: ADR Bundle". www.foundershousepublishing.com. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- "The Well of Galabes - Ecosophia". Ecosophia. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- "COLLAPSE NOW AND AVOID THE RUSH". resilience.org. June 6, 2012. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Hagbard's Law". archdruidmirror.blogspot.com. 2009. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "The Weird of Hali: Kingsport". www.foundershousepublishing.com. Retrieved 2019-03-23.
- Docksai, Rick. "Is industrial civilization doomed?" Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine The Futurist Mar.-Apr. 2010: 58+. Academic OneFile. Web. 8 Dec. 2013.
- Conant, F. P., Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries. Aug 2010, Vol. 47 Issue 12, p2370
- Friedrichs, Jörg (August 2010). "Global energy crunch: How different parts of the world would react to a peak oil scenario". Energy Policy. 38 (8): 4562–4569. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2010.04.011.
- Avery, William Alexander; Francis, Charles (22 May 2013). "The wealth of nature: economics as if survival mattered". International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability. 12 (1): 89–91. doi:10.1080/14735903.2013.796766.
- Dean, Katharine. "Reference That Rocks!!" American Libraries. May2005, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p37-40.
- "The New Encyclopedia of the Occult. (review)". Booklist. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "The New Encyclopedia of the Occult.(Book Review)". Publishers Weekly. 250 (35): 1. Sep 2003. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- Wenisch, Michael (Spring 2009), Backhaus, Gary (ed.), "Peak Oil, Energy Limits, and Resulting Alterations in the Built Space of the United States", Environment, Space, Place, Zeta Books, 1 (1): 73–100, doi:10.7761/ESP.1.1.73, ISBN 9789731997254
- Docksai, Rick (January–February 2014), "Transforming Life on Earth, One Garden at a Time", The Futurist, World Future Society, vol. 48 no. 1, p. 52
- Jackson, Molly (December 22, 2015), "Who Are Those People at Stonehenge Celebrating the Winter Solstice?", The Christian Science Monitor