John McCarthy (Australian diplomat)
John McCarthy AO
|Ambassador of Australia to Vietnam|
1981 – 1983
|Prime Minister||Malcolm Fraser|
|14th Ambassador of Australia to Japan|
June 2001 – June 17, 2004
|Prime Minister||John Howard|
|Preceded by||Peter Grey|
|Succeeded by||Murray McLean|
John Philip McCarthy
29 November 1942
Washington, D.C., United States
|Parents||Edwin McCarthy and|
Marjorie Mary Graham
|Alma mater||Jesus College, Cambridge|
|Occupation||Diplomat, Lawyer, Barrister|
Born in Washington, D.C., McCarthy was educated at Downside School, Somerset, in England and studied at Jesus College, Cambridge. He received a Master of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws degree from Cambridge University. He was a barrister-at-law and practised in London from 1965 to 1967. He worked with the New York City Law Firm of Shearman & Sterling from 1966 to 1967 and joined the Department of External Affairs in Canberra in 1968.
McCarthy served as Australia's representative in the following posts:
- Ambassador to Vietnam (1981–83)
- Ambassador to Mexico (1985–87)
- Ambassador to Thailand (1992–94)
- Ambassador to the United States (1995 to 1997)
- Ambassador to Indonesia (1997-2001)
- Ambassador to Japan (2001 – 2004)
- High Commissioner to India (2004-2009).
McCarthy was appointed an Officer of the Order for Australia in 1999 for service to the enhancement of Australia's international reputation and to the development of Australian regional policy while serving as Australia's Ambassador to Indonesia in Jakarta.
McCarthy has two daughters.
- The Cambridge University List of Members 1976
- Wade, Matt (25 July 2009). "Forty years in the diplomatic engine room". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Archived from the original on 3 July 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- "Appointment". The Canberra Times. 13 December 1984. p. 3.
- Suryodiningrat, Meidyatama (8 December 2000). "Ambassador McCarthy ends 'satisfying' four years in RI". The Jakarta Post. Archived from the original on 22 December 2014.
- Downer, Alexander. "Diplomatic Appointment: Ambassador to Japan" (Press release). Australian Government. Archived from the original on 12 February 2014.
- Downer, Alexander (9 August 2004). "Diplomatic Appointment - High Commissioner to India" (Press release). Australian Government. Archived from the original on 12 February 2014.
- "MCCARTHY, John Philip: Officer of the Order of Australia". It's an Honour. Government of Australia. 26 January 1999. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
|Australian Chargé d'affaires in Syria||Succeeded by|
| Australian Ambassador to Vietnam
1981 – 1983
| Australian Ambassador to Mexico
1985 – 1987
| Australian Ambassador to Thailand
1992 – 1994
| Australian Ambassador to the United States
1995 – 1997
| Australian Ambassador to Indonesia
1997 – 2001
| Australian Ambassador to Japan
2001 – 2004
| Australian High Commissioner to India
2004 – 2009