John Daniel Mallee (pronounced "MAY lee") (born May 5, 1969) is an American coach for the Philadelphia Phillies, and former professional baseball player. He played in minor league baseball as a shortstop and a second baseman. He was previously the hitting coach of the Florida Marlins, Houston Astros, and Chicago Cubs baseball teams.
Mallee and Astros second baseman José Altuve in May 2014.
|Philadelphia Phillies – No. 8|
|Born: John Daniel Mallee|
May 5, 1969
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
Early and personal lifeEdit
He married Candy Wiedeman in 1995, and has two sons, John III and Austin.
Mallee was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 10th round of the 1991 amateur draft, out of University of Illinois. He played in minor league baseball from 1991 to 1992 in the Philadelphia Phillies minor league system, for Rookie League Martinsville (1991) and Single-A Spartanburg (1992). Mallee hit .208/.313/.257 with 8 stolen bases and 28 RBIs in 115 career minor league games, playing 95 games at shortstop and 20 games at second base.
He began his coaching career with Milwaukee as the hitting coach for Beloit (A, 1996-97; 99), Stockton (A, 1998), and Huntsville (AA, 2000). He was then the minor league hitting coach for the Montreal Expos at Ottawa (AAA, 2001).
On October 9, 2014, he was named by the Chicago Cubs as their major league hitting coach, succeeding Bill Mueller. On October 26, 2017, the Cubs announced that Mallee had been released from his contract and Chili Davis was named as his replacement.
Mallee's lineups have been characterized as having zero ability to hit consistently. His critics cite an obsession with launch angle and a baffling acceptance of strikeouts, the most-useless outcome a hitter can achieve in a single at-bat. To date he has been attacked at least once by irate fans of every team he has coached.
- "John Mallee statistics". Baseball Reference. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- Coach Bio | MLB.com
- Stephens, Bailey (June 23, 2010). "New coaches familiar to organization". MLB.com. Retrieved October 9, 2014.
- Casella, Paul (October 19, 2012). "Trembley, Mallee join Porter's coaching staff". MLB.com. Retrieved October 9, 2014.
- "Cubs hire Mallee as hitting coach". ESPN.com. Associated Press. October 9, 2014. Retrieved October 9, 2014.
- "Cubs make changes: Chili Davis the new hitting coach, John Mallee out". Retrieved October 27, 2017.
| Florida Marlins Hitting coach
2010-2011 (fired during 2011)
Ty Van Burkleo
| Houston Astros Hitting coach
| Chicago Cubs Hitting coach
| Philadelphia Phillies Hitting coach