John Lobb Bootmaker
John Lobb Bootmaker is a company that manufactures and retails a luxury brand of shoes and boots mainly for men, but also for women. Leather goods such as wallets and belts are also available. Founded by John Lobb (1829–95), John Lobb Bootmaker has been in business since 1849 in London and circa 1900 in Paris.
|Founded||London, England (1866)|
The original London hand made to measure workshop at 9 St James's Street, John Lobb Ltd, remains family-owned and continues to operate independently. In 1976, John Lobb Paris shop was acquired by the Hermès Group. Hermès have developed the John Lobb ready-to-wear shoes around the world. The two companies continue to maintain their bespoke shoe-making tradition with the original Lobb family workshop in London and the Hermès owned workshop in Paris.
Following the success of the London base, John Lobb opened a shop in Paris circa 1900.
In 1976, Hermès was allowed to use the John Lobb name. Only about 100 pairs of ready-to-wear shoes are finished per day. The original, family-owned Lobb still handmakes shoes one pair at a time. Until the 1980s, John Lobb operated only custom-made activity in London and in Paris. From 1982 onwards, the ready-to-wear activity has complemented the made to measure, and distribution has extended.
In 1976 John Lobb Paris became part of the Hermès Group.
The London bespoke workshop, John Lobb Ltd, remains in the hands of the family and operates independently from its premises at 9 St James's Street.
The ready-to-wear collection debuted in 1982 and the first store showcasing the line opened in Paris in 1990.
In June 2014 the Hermès group announced the appointment of Paula Gerbase as John Lobb's first ever Artistic Director.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- By Royal Appointment. ITV3. 2012. Event occurs at 8:00pm. Archived from the original on 29 June 2012. Retrieved 24 June 2012.
- Gov.uk, National archives
- Dobbs, Brian (1972). The Last Shall Be First: The Colourful Story of John Lobb The St. James's Bootmakers. Elm Tree Books. ISBN 0241022738.
- Robin Mellery-Pratt, John Lobb, Scaling a Craft-Based , 07/05/2014 in Business of fashion
- Nicholas Storey (2008). History of Men's Fashion: What the Well-dressed Man is Wearing. Casemate Publishers. p. 66. ISBN 978-1-84468-037-5.
- "Shoes for the Famous". British Pathé. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
- "John Lobb Shoes". Handmade: By Royal Appointment. Episode 2. 13 June 2016. BBC Four. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- The New York Times, Matthew Schneier: John Lobb Spruces Up Its Classic Footwear, 13 novembre 2014