John Light (actor)
John Light (born 30 September 1973) is an English actor.
Light appeared as Henry Lennox (with Richard Armitage and Daniela Denby-Ashe) in the BBC production North and South from the novel by Elizabeth Gaskell. He played the title character (the son of Rudyard Kipling) in the original National Theatre production of David Haig's My Boy Jack (1997).
An early screen role came in Cider with Rosie (1998). He portrayed British pilot Robert Newman in the German film Dresden, in which he spoke German; and played Geoffrey, Duke of Brittany in the 2003 film The Lion in Winter alongside Patrick Stewart, Glenn Close and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers. He played Satan in two films released in 2005 which were titled The Prophecy: Uprising and The Prophecy: Forsaken. He also appeared in the title role of the 2009 play A New World: A Life of Thomas Paine.
In 2011, he appeared in an episode of BBC TV series Silk as Alan Bradley, a man accused of rape.
In 2013, he appeared as Chief Inspector Roger Nelson in the BBC TV series WPC 56 (series 1), and he appeared as Hercule Flambeau, nemesis of Father Brown, in the BBC TV series Father Brown episode 1.10 The Blue Cross. He reprised the role in the 2014 episode 2.5 The Mysteries of the Rosary, the 2015 episode 3.10 The Judgment of Man, the 2016 episode 4.5 The Daughter of Autolycus, the 2017 episode 5.15, "The Penitent Man", the 2018 episode 6.10 "The Two Deaths of Hercule Flambeau", and the 2019 episode 7.10 "The Honourable Thief”.
In 2016, he appeared as Dacourt in the ITV series Maigret episode 1.2 "Maigret's Dead Man".
Light is a prolific stage actor. His theatre performances include the Complete Works Festival in Stratford-upon-Avon, where he starred in Sean Holmes' Julius Caesar as Brutus and in Rupert Goold's The Tempest as Caliban. In 2012, he appeared as the titular character in Thom Pain (based on nothing), a role for which critics praised him.
In 2015, Light starred in the play Taken at Midnight with Penelope Wilton. He received a nomination for an Olivier for Best Supporting Actor in a Play. Soon after he starred as Escamillo in Carmen Disrupted with Sharon Stone.
In late 2016 through early 2017, he was in a limited run of Mary Stuart along with Juliet Stevenson and Lia Williams at the Almeida. He continued the role after the play transferred to the West End's Duke of York's Theatre in 2018.
In January 2019, it was announced that John Light would join the cast of Florian Zeller's "The Son." The play ran at the Kiln Theatre from February 20, 2019 through April 6, 2019. He will reprise the role in the West End production, scheduled to run in Fall 2019 at the Duke of York's Theatre.
In 2005, Light began dating Canadian film and television actress Neve Campbell. The couple became engaged in December 2005, and married on 5 May 2007 in Malibu, California. Campbell filed for divorce from Light on 30 June 2010 in Los Angeles.
- http://www.uktw.co.uk/biog/ Archived 7 January 2017 at the Wayback Machine; http://www.markhamfroggattandirwin.com/cv/client_john-light_id_100119.htm Archived 10 November 2017 at the Wayback Machine
- https://www.ayoungertheatre.com/review-thom-pain-based-on-nothing-the-print-room-will-eno/ Archived 9 February 2018 at the Wayback Machine; http://www.indielondon.co.uk/Theatre-Review/thom-pain-based-on-nothing-the-print-room Archived 14 February 2018 at the Wayback Machine
- http://www.trh.co.uk/uncategorized/taken-at-midnight-receives-three-olivier-award-nominations/[permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 February 2018. Retrieved 6 May 2017.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 August 2017. Retrieved 6 May 2017.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2 November 2017. Retrieved 12 August 2017.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 August 2017. Retrieved 12 August 2017.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- https://www.broadwayworld.com/westend/article/Full-Cast-Announced-For-Uk-Premiere-Of-Florian-Zellers-THE-SON-20190114 Archived 31 January 2019 at the Wayback Machine, https://officiallondontheatre.com/news/amanda-abbington-to-star-in-florian-zellers-the-son/ Archived 31 January 2019 at the Wayback Machine
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 April 2019. Retrieved 21 April 2019.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- people.com Archived 9 May 2007 at the Wayback Machine "Neve Campbell & John Light Marry in Malibu"
- "Neve Campbell Files Divorce On the Down Low". TMZ. 1 December 2010. Archived from the original on 8 April 2012. Retrieved 1 December 2010.